Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 114742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two covers featuring the Stranger: the first and my first.

The Invaders #12 (Ja'77): the debut of SpitfireOriginally Jacqueline Falsworth was supposed to succeed her father as Union Jacquie but the costume didn't work on the female form. So she was given super-speed powers despite the Whizzer showing up the previous year and, as Roy Thomas was so fond of saying, there were only so many super-powers to go along!

He would do the same in All Star Squadron with the new Firebrand!

Thanks for the tip, Richard. I never think to use the GCD for zines.

One of only 3 comic covers ever painted by William Ekgren - Strange Terrors

(Talk about your “wretched hive of scum and villainy.”)

Before Marv Wolfman and George Perez came up with their character we had Starfire

It's my guess the All-Stars' Firebrand was a combination of Firebrand (the costume) and Wildfire from Smash Comics.

I bought Starriors #1 when it came out, and didn't realise it was a toy comic. The comic was set in the future. The good robots set out on a quest to find human beings, and the evil robots pursue them. It has a bit that puzzled me where one of the robots' heads is broken open and there's a model human inside. A robot says they were made with these images of their human creators. The real reason was the toys were supposed to be giant robots operated by human beings, so they had windscreens and human operator figures. So the comic rejected the toy concept. I think that a confounding decision.

Starriors was produced in conjunction with Marvel in 1984 but they were also working closely with Hasbro doing Transformers so they probably knew about the upcoming "Headmasters" line where "the driver of the vehicle becomes the head of the robot" prior to its 1987 debut. Perhaps that was the reason for the change.

Of course, Starriors was nowhere near the success of Transformers or GoBots for that matter!

I suppose Marvel may have been asked to come up with a series concept, as it was with Transformers. The switch made the robots the characters rather than their operators.

Of course, the Union Jack himself didn't really have any more superpowers than Bucky.  My memory may be faulty but as I recall she also had powers of flight and got her powers from a blood transfusion from the Human Torch, which to my adolescent mind 40 years ago seemed like really bad science fantasy being that Jim Hammond was, after all, an android, and I doubt Phineas Horton could have created synthetic blood that could have been viable when pumped into a human.  Just one fantastic element too much for me to suspend belief.  But oh, well, Roy had to come up with something to give her powers and also wanted to add the psycho-melodrama of Jim loving Jacquie while Jacquie loved Cap and Cap loved somebody, Jim just can't win, love stinks, yeah, yeah ....Ahem, a little J. Geils flashback to go with our olde comics memories.

Philip Portelli said:

The Invaders #12 (Ja'77): the debut of SpitfireOriginally Jacqueline Falsworth was supposed to succeed her father as Union Jacquie but the costume didn't work on the female form. So she was given super-speed powers despite the Whizzer showing up the previous year and, as Roy Thomas was so fond of saying, there were only so many super-powers to go along!

He would do the same in All Star Squadron with the new Firebrand!

Spitfire didn't fly (at least I don't remember her doing so). She did leave a fiery trail behind her hence her name. Firebrand II had the flame powers which increased over time and made her essentially a female Human Torch which let her fly eventually.

Did Cap love someone else during The Invaders run? My interpretation was that he just wasn't in love with her while she was infatuated with him and the Torch, well, carried a torch for her! Luckily Namor avoided the whole affair!

And one more thing that made little sense, if the artificial blood of the Human Torch can give people super-powers (and the Nazis knew this as per Invaders Annual #1), why weren't there other "Blood Soldiers"? Or at least some testing? They made a big deal about losing the Super Soldier Formula but here was something very similar if not better with a replenishable source and nothing was done about it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service