Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 46140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Superboy and Mon-El (then and now).

Superboy's first Adventure Comics cover.

Action Comics #314 (Jl'64) was the first mention of the Flash in a Super-title yet their first race wasn't until Superman #199 (Au'67) over three years later! Why did it take so long? Was Mort Weisinger that reluctant to have a Julius Schwartz hero co-star with his Man of Steel?

Yet the sequel in The Flash #175 (D'67) came a mere four months later! 

btw, the GCD says that the cover of Flash was by Carmine Infantino with Al Plastino drawing Superman's face which was SOP for DC for decades. It's definitely an Infantino layout but Superman looks like Ross Andru's (the interior artist) work to me.

Adventure #210, (1955) first appearance of Krypto. The Superdog appeared with a particularly goofy facial expression in his first few appearances.

According to GCD, before he was a professional Cary Bates came up with the plot and the idea for this cover. An important issue because it established Brainiac as a computer, not an organic being.

If I figured correctly this should be Batgirl’s last Silver Age cover with Superman.  Now i’ll have to come up with a new theme.

Action Comics #293 - the first cover appearance of Comet the Superhorse 

Superboy #76 - the first appearance of Beppo the Supermonkey.

Two non-racing Superman/Flash covers!

Superboy #96 featuring Pete Ross.  Pete was the childhood best friend of Clark Kent in Smallville. One night when they were camping together, Pete secretly saw Clark changing into Superboy to attend an emergency. Pete kept his knowledge of the superhero's secret identity to himself, even avoiding revealing his discovery to Clark.  The Legion of Super-Heroes was aware of Pete's assistance to Clark and made him an honorary member during his teenage years (as shown in Superboy #98). During the Legion's battle with Mordru in Adventure Comics #370 ("The Devil's Jury"), it was stated that Pete Ross's knowledge of Superboy's secret identity would one day end up saving Superman's life (explaining why the Legion allowed Pete to retain that knowledge); however, no Superman story ever followed up on this detail until the very end of this continuity.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service