Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 39968

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Undersea Agent #6 with a beautiful cover 

Star Trek: Untold Voyages (or "Better Left Untold Voyages" if you ask me).

Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet

Famed psychic Uri Geller appears in Daredevil.

Another nice cover from Undersea Agent

Avengers: United They Stand #1. Not a bad series despite its limitations and the toys were a little weird, though I loved their version of Wonder Man.

"The Ultroids Attack!"

One of my favorite Gil Kane covers. Mr. Kane was one busy guy around the time this cover first appeared. He was doing The Atom and Green Lantern for DC, fill-ins on The Hulk and Captain America at Marvel, stuff for Tower plus the His Name Is Savage graphic novel.

Dave Palmer said:

A couple more “Unus, the Untouchable” covers.

The Legion of the Unliving!

The Micronauts' version of "The Untouchables."

Question -- did Gil draw this before or after he drew the creation of the Abomination in Tales to Astonish?  Because that sea creature is a dead ringer for that classic Hulk baddie, aside being much bigger and having that fin on his head.  I'll presume before as presumably the Undersea Agent was meant as a one-time monster of the month for what would be a short-lived mag and Tower Comics wouldn't make too much of a fuss about Kane using a similar design for what he likely knew would be a recurring arch-foe for one of a rising company's most popular characters (maybe not yet as well-known as he would become after the live action tv series of the '70s, but seems to me even circa 1967, the Hulk had risen to the level of one of Marvel's most famous characters, at least among comicbook superhero aficionados). 

doc photo said:

One of my favorite Gil Kane covers. Mr. Kane was one busy guy around the time this cover first appeared. He was doing The Atom and Green Lantern for DC, fill-ins on The Hulk and Captain America at Marvel, stuff for Tower plus the His Name Is Savage graphic novel.

Dave Palmer said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service