Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 46206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These are the two Agent X-9 covers I selected. Not the greatest art. I was intrigued by his calling the woman "Dodo." Was this a nickname or a pejorative? I couldn't find any reference to her.

The famous advertisement that appeared in a large number of silver-age comics. I was so tempted to buy - but it was difficult, living on the other side of the Atlantic!

Richard Willis said:

These are the two Agent X-9 covers I selected. Not the greatest art. I was intrigued by his calling the woman "Dodo." Was this a nickname or a pejorative? I couldn't find any reference to her.

I found strips with the character in the newspaper archive here, but I can't read them as I'm not signed up. She's Dodo Jones, and appeared in the strip in 1953. The image matches a strip that appeared in The Ludington Daily News Aug. 07, 1953.

Thanks, Luke.

I was curious about the advise he gave her to climb a tree. I confirmed that the tiger would just climb after her.

"Was this a nickname or a pejorative?"

"Dodo" is a nickname for "Dorothy."

I guess it can’t get more fitting for X month than a title that is simply X

However, X’s first comic was Comics’ Greatest World: X, but eventually Dark Horse got rid of all the extraneous stuff.

But defore that he was introduced in Dark Horse Comics.

Hmm... Quite a few of my prime picks were posted over the weekend. No matter. I have several more obscure ones in mind, starting with...

X-Men Special Edition was the only way I was ever going to read Giant-Size X-Men #1!

Space Pirates of Xarpot

Suicide Squad’s second appearance but the first cover where it was referred to as Task Force X.

Xander the Merciless”

Xander, Willow, Buffy and Cordelia

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service