Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 66476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Switching legs apparently includes switching leg-coverings.

I would guess that the upper and lower portions of Flash's uniform are separate or he couldn't get into it. I don't remember seeing artwork that depicted his uniform in two parts. 

1. That guy has an oddly specific collection.

2.He might not get clobbered, but will he be able to stand up to the mockery over that costume? And given the colour-scheme, will Spider-man mistake him for a supervillain?

Dave Palmer said:

A couple more with Superman, but not necessarily with Superman's costume.

I thought about that too.  But with his ability to vibrate his molecules he could just vibrate into his costume, even if it is one piece.  It would probably take a lot of practice.  Maybe we're just overthinking things.  Most costumes and secret identities don't make much sense.  I think wearing the Bat-suit, especially with a cape, under a business suit would be a tad noticeable for Bruce Wayne.  No one noticed that Tony Stark was wearing a portable iron lung?  And really, Warren's wings wouldn't be noticeable under a shirt?  Ah, suspension of disbelief; it's a wonderful thing.

Richard Willis said:

Switching legs apparently includes switching leg-coverings.

I would guess that the upper and lower portions of Flash's uniform are separate or he couldn't get into it. I don't remember seeing artwork that depicted his uniform in two parts. 

You'd think Blue Beetle would have called it quits more frequently than the Flash:

Here's another example of the "costume in the bin, owner walking away" cover trope, from April 1990.

Strangely, the following very similar cover was published in the exact same month.  As far as I can tell, despite the resemblance and the "No More" tag (homaging Spider-man #50 from July 1967) there's no connection between the two stories.

Wonder Woman gives up her costume...again!

Guess who the villain of this issue is? 

As mentioned when we were doing parody and homage covers, these two separate "empty uniform" covers from the same mini-series are both inspired by earlier Flash covers.  Sadly, they don't show Flash's uniform, so they don't count towards his total.  However, I've counted the cover that shows his boots empty, to make the latest score Flash 18, Superman 20.

This "empty uniforms" gig is getting tougher by the day.  I spent over an hour looking for some kind of empty uniform/outfit amongst my vast collection of romance comic covers, and after going through over 300 covers, only managed to come up with this one. Yes, I know it's not quite an empty uniform but it is an empty dress.

Yes, it's really tough. I'm only posting covers on weekdays, now. Still don't have enough to last unless I get lucky and find a few more.

Steve W said:

This "empty uniforms" gig is getting tougher by the day.  I spent over an hour looking for some kind of empty uniform/outfit amongst my vast collection of romance comic covers, and after going through over 300 covers, only managed to come up with this one. Yes, I know it's not quite an empty uniform but it is an empty dress.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service