Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 71837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure this cover would get through the censor's clutches these days...

Steve W. predicted a lot of Archie covers this month. I'm sure there's a beach just over that knoll:

Archie and Weatherbee in Summer Stock.

I'll bet hilarity ensues.

"Ogling the lifeguard" seems to be a popular sub-genre of the "Beach" cover.

Another mysterious island, another beach.

Personally, I've never seen the allure of spending your holiday stretched out on the beach.  I am, however, thinking mostly of the English seaside holiday of the 1960s, which in my experience seemed to be less like the scenes experienced by Archie, Donald and Co, and more like this cover.

Incidentally, on the subject of holidays, I'll be away for a week after tomorrow.  I should have online access, but may not have time to post anything.  I'll be at the World SF Convention, which is in Dublin this year, and I expect to be very busy!

Fun in the sun during the Post-Crisis WWII!

@peterwrexham - it wasn't always cold on English beaches!

Did anyone mention Archie?

Arch: Krona, when are we going to see the really big fireworks?

Jughead: Any minute now, Archie.

The Doctor, Donna Noble and Martha Jones encounter one of the Sycorax.  Hmm - Sycorax was also the name of Caliban's mother in Shakespeare's "The Tempest".  I wonder if this cover shows a beach on Prospero's island?

Here are a couple of "ogling lifeguard" covers, both from Buzzy, and both working against the title character.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service