Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kind of....

Remember when 2001 was ten years in the future?

Breaking the rules here but these two Defenders covers are too similar not to!

Remember when 2001 was ten years in the future?

And talking of the future...

In November, we'll be posting covers in recognition of the JSA's 80th anniversary.  We don't have any themes decided after that.  Could we perhaps start to think about them?  I'm starting to get a bit nervous!

There are two themes suggested a while ago which I would quite like to try some time, namely:

• Bridges
  • Classrooms

Alternatively, should we go for something vaguely seasonal in December?  If so, what?  Remember that in December 2020 we did "Snow & Winter Scenes", and in December 2019 (when the theme was "Foreign Language Covers") foreign-language Christmas covers were often chosen.

Any comments, counter-suggestions, ideas etc?  If you'd like a reminder of all the themes we've already covered, check out the most recent spreadsheet and index here

I have two ideas. One of them is difficult to explain. I'll save that one, for now.

My suggestion is cover logos that are destroyed or are somehow part of the cover composition.

For example...

Lines:

"Lines"

Groooan.

Yeah, but it has your very favoritest character on the cover, according to some jerk you used to know.

And yes, I've taken some perverse delight in adding that stupid character to every topic in this thread. It's probably the most attention he's had from comic book fans in years.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Lines"

Groooan.

I find I've still got a surprising number of X-Men #100 homages still lined (sorry!) up.  This is one of the odder ones:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service