Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 143453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Willis said:

Lee Houston, Junior said:

And for February, what about romance covers from titles that were NOT (normally) romance comics instead?

Or is that what Richard Willis was suggesting above?

I was suggesting a mix of romance comics and non-romance comics, but we should all kick it around.

Yes, I like that, less complicated than my idea, but still incorporates romance. Romance and non-romance covers as long as the cover incorporates a romantic scene. Perfect!

Richard Willis said:

Lee Houston, Junior said:

And for February, what about romance covers from titles that were NOT (normally) romance comics instead?

Or is that what Richard Willis was suggesting above?

I was suggesting a mix of romance comics and non-romance comics, but we should all kick it around.

That could get repetitive.  There were a lot of romance covers from non-romance titles posted in February 2020, when the theme was "Valentines and Cupids".  As an example, the month started with this post on page 729:

Philip Portelli said on January 31, 2020 at 11:30pm:

Sorry this is a little early but I had to get it out of my system!

Can't beat having the actual Cupid on the cover!

The Mad Mod will make your logo G R O O V Y !

Another original Spirit "funnies" cover.

Looking back on my comments over the last couple of days, I seem to have been excessively negative about the ideas for February.  Sorry about that - I would be happy to go for a month of covers featuring romantic scenes and situations.

In token of which, here's a JLA cover that displays its logo on a cinema marquee, and depicts a romantic encounter between Guy Gardner and Ice.

More shouting out logos!

Philip - I love that DC Special cover. I have the first seven of that series, but I've never seen that one.

Just changing the subject very briefly, just wanted to show you this frame. A brief history - I went to the Victorian Market in Worcester on Saturday and they were displaying US silver-age comic books displayed in a white and black frame. They looked really cool but none of them contained a cover that really appealed to me, plus they were 35 pounds each (roughly 40 bucks). So I hunted down a b & w picture frame with the same dimensions on the internet, bought it for 13 pounds, trimmed the white inlay frame, and mounted one of my favourites in it. I'm pleased with the result and, if I can find the space, I'll put in on the wall in my study. It measures 15 inches by 13. Might buy some more!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 2 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up for the Final Issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE out on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service