Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Canada's Human-Lizard, whose allies include Lady Accident.

By Jason Loo.

Although he's far from Legendary, Captain Canuck makes a guest-appearance in one issue.

Oh, I'll get to the Legion later but here's my salute to DC's longest reigning female character: Lois Lane whose relationship with Superman has made her life more bizarre, more dangerous and much more wacky than your typical reporter!

I guess we should get to all of the great Loves of Superman's Life, then:

Philip Portelli said:

Oh, I'll get to the Legion later but here's my salute to DC's longest reigning female character: Lois Lane whose relationship with Superman has made her life more bizarre, more dangerous and much more wacky than your typical reporter!

Before she was given her own comic, her feature debuted in Showcase.

I read this story when it was reprinted in an issue of Superman Family. The sad part is that I could see the Silver Age Superman acting the same way as he does here being clueless, insensitive and very full of himself!

Mentioning "LL" as JD DeLuzio did earlier, prompts me to post this excellent Neal Adams cover. Again, I remember seeing this issue on the spinner in 1968 in my local newsagent and being compelled by the cover to buy it.

ASM #6 - Ditko cover - first appearance of the Lizard. This was the only time I ever saw him in a purple lab coat.

Li'l Abner #79, November 1950, Drawn (as were all Li'l Abners) by Al Capp.

I guess the Lizard's lab coat was purple because a white coat wouldn't have worked on this cover.

I just read the Three Wives of Superman tale for the first time in a Imaginary Stories TPB. Interesting, though grotesque.

That, and the purple-and-green colour scheme required to be an Official Spider-man Villain.

Richard Willis said:

I guess the Lizard's lab coat was purple because a white coat wouldn't have worked on this cover.

I just read the Three Wives of Superman tale for the first time in a Imaginary Stories TPB. Interesting, though grotesque.

Ah, Steve... I had been holding Superman #204 in reserve as my first "L" for a year now and you beat me to it! (Some other choices I had been considering have already been posted, too.) Oh, well. That's what I get for not logging on over the weekend. Anyway, here's another Neal Adams choice in its place.

Superman #164: "The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman!"

Wow, Lex got top billing here!

Also it was the first appearance of the planet Lexor.

How about we do our favorite Luthor covers for today and tomorrow?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service