Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some post-Crisis Vandal Savage covers.

Jules Verne 

"Weird Vampire Tales" suggests a niche audience not satisfied by run-of-the-mill vampire tales.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

My wife and I just so happen to be watching the last several episodes of the TV series right now.

Jack Kirby did his first take on "Thor" in Adventure Comics #75 (Ju'42) with the Villain from Valhalla! A fraud, of course, with a mechanical hammer! I read it in Forever People #6 (Ja'72) when DC's books went to 52 pages and all of Kirby's Fourth World books had reprints of his Golden Age DC work.

Amazingly "Fairy-Tale" Fenton was given the Hammer of Thor from All Star Comics #3's Hawkman story which unhinged him so he thought he really was Thor in All Star Squadron #18 (F'83) and mistook the Tarantula for the Sandman!

He made the back cover of the digest Adventure Comics #499 (My'83) as well!

Valor.

Will these do?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

"Weird Vampire Tales" suggests a niche audience not satisfied by run-of-the-mill vampire tales.
The Vampire Lestat.

Back in the ‘80s, my sister was a big fan of Anne Rice’s books. The comics based on her vampire novels were hot for a time, and I bought a collection of The Vampire Lestat and gave it to her as a gift. I’m sure she never read it. She explained that she liked visualizing the scenes in her own imagination. I argued that she watched movies and was perfectly content to let the directors and cinematographers visualize scenes for her. For that matter, even when reading a book the scenes in one’s mind’s eye don’t come from the reader’s imagination, but the writer’s.

Inspired by JD's post, here are two Vampirella covers from the original run.

Not a vampire, but a She-Bat.

I remember that the first time I took my wife to the San Diego con there was a cosplayer dressed in the perfect Vampirella costume. She opined that now she knew why I liked the show.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service