Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 143605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JD DeLuzio said:

Nine people on a team actually playing at any one time.

An active roster of up to 25, however.

An expanded roster of, uh, 40?

I think that's accurate. In the last month of the season they add players from the minor leagues* for the larger roster. 

*There are A, AA, and AAA teams that play each other until their seasons end a month before the Major League teams. They are owned by the Major League teams. The closest one to me is the Cucamonga Quakes (AA). They used to be affiliated with the San Diego Padres and now are with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Sometimes Major League players who are recovering from injuries will play on these teams just before returning.

Thank you both, I think.  I may be no wiser about baseball, but at least I'm better informed.

As a mark of my appreciation, here's another sporting cover.  It's unusual in that it's a Flash cover showing an empty uniform that isn't the Flash's uniform!

Your image isn't visible

Peter Wrexham said:

Thank you both, I think.  I may be no wiser about baseball, but at least I'm better informed.

As a mark of my appreciation, here's another sporting cover.  It's unusual in that it's a Flash cover showing an empty uniform that isn't the Flash's uniform!

Okay, I'm not sure what's gone wrong here.  When I tried to upload the image from my computer, the process repeatedly hung.  I thought I'd managed to bypass the problem by copying from an online source, but apparently not!  The cover is from Flash #201 of November 1970.

Now, I'm getting repeated errors where various different pages on captaincomics.ning are not displaying successfully, instead giving a message "We're sorry, we are having an issue with this page."  I think I'll sign off for the day, and see if things have recovered tomorrow!

Strange. I had the same problem last night, trying to upload images. I gave up eventually.

Here's my yesterday's contribution - with cover by Gil Kane.

Here's an embarrassing example. Good thing someone left a barrel near the old swimming hole!

Yet another Flash cover! Does Barry have to glue his uniform on?

Plus Grodd breaks the fourth wall! 

Peter,

In one of those weird coincidences I spent the last two days trying to upload the same cover with no luck at all.  

Still can’t seem to upload covers.

Peter Wrexham said:

Okay, I'm not sure what's gone wrong here.  When I tried to upload the image from my computer, the process repeatedly hung.  I thought I'd managed to bypass the problem by copying from an online source, but apparently not!  The cover is from Flash #201 of November 1970.

Now, I'm getting repeated errors where various different pages on captaincomics.ning are not displaying successfully, instead giving a message "We're sorry, we are having an issue with this page."  I think I'll sign off for the day, and see if things have recovered tomorrow!

So he can't fly without his suit???

JD DeLuzio said:

Here's an embarrassing example. Good thing someone left a barrel near the old swimming hole!

I'm still having the upload process hanging, from three different computers.  At least the "We're sorry, we are having an issue with this page" error hasn't recurred, so I can browse the board successfully.  Until this is resolved, I guess I won't be playing the "Cover a Day" game [sad face].  Sorry to hear that you've been experiencing the same problem, Dave.  It surely can't have anything to do with that particular cover!

Dave Palmer said:

Peter,

In one of those weird coincidences I spent the last two days trying to upload the same cover with no luck at all.  

Still can’t seem to upload covers.

Peter Wrexham said:

Ok, here goes - attempt at another cover posting. Here's Superman #228.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service