Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 74356

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A couple of nice covers with Nyoka

Steve W said:

An alternative cover for Angel & The Ape #1.  At least, I assume it's an alternative cover, since we've already posted the cover to A&tA #1 earlier this month.

In the 60s they didn't do alternate covers. So far #2 and #3 were posted. Here's their first appearance in Showcase #77

Well since we're on Angel and The Ape, let's skip to issue 6, which was a favourite.

And a slightly more modern cover...

Richard Willis said:

Steve W said:

An alternative cover for Angel & The Ape #1.  At least, I assume it's an alternative cover, since we've already posted the cover to A&tA #1 earlier this month.

In the 60s they didn't do alternate covers. So far #2 and #3 were posted. Here's their first appearance in Showcase #77

To clarify, there have been three series of Angel and the Ape

• The first spun off from Showcase #77, and ran for 6 bi-monthly issues, from November-December 1968 to September-October 1969.  There was a final issue in November-December 1969 under the title Meet Angel.
  • Next, there was Phil Foglio's four-issue mini-series, which ran from March to June 1991.
  • Finally, another four-issue mini-series ran from October 2001 to January 2002. 

I reckon we've now seen a large percentage of the covers to these series!

Far too often, the gorillas depicted on these covers are rampaging brutish creatures.  I'd like to present an alternative perspective.

Gorillas can be intellectual giants, out to win a fortune on the quiz-show circuit.

Gorillas can be beautifully-spoken, with a delightful English accent. 

Gorillas can even be pipe-smoking, stethoscope-wielding scientists, excited to discover the "missing link"!

Still, let's not completely abandon the "rampaging, brutish" stereotype.  It does make for an exciting cover!

One more cover with Angel and Sam.  There they are behind Flash and Bat Lash.  I must say, that is not Sam’s best look.  Must have been an off day.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service