Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 134893

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...and here's another.

These two covers go together. (Scorpio Rose was originally plotted as a Madame Xanadu story but, following a dispute with DC, Steve Englehart took his plot and walked.)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I can't believe we're one day in and no one has posted JLA #1 yet.
Before someone beats me to it...

Versions of that cover came up several times last March in Homages/Parodies month.  Here's one that, I think, didn't.

I thought that we were going to do cards first but okay...

Here's a direct sequel to Justice League of America #1 that looks a lot more interesting than the actual story!

"I thought that we were going to do cards first..."

Richard Willis said:

Steve W said:

Re January - am struggling with just "Playing Cards" as a suggestion for covers.  Someone, back in September, suggested chess, checkers and dice as possible alternatives to just playing cards. Can I endorse that sentiment, as otherwise, I'm struggling for January.

I like the idea of table games in addition to playing cards. It will make the month more interesting and easier to complete.

Here's the new graphic novel of the second Bond book. Tarot cards are a big thing in the story.

Here's All New Midnight Tales. What I really love about this cover is how the hell did the publishers think that this cover was going to encourage browsers to buy it! I always thought a cover was specifically designed to get you to buy it and I can't imagine anything more boring than this cover.

I mentioned this month’s theme to my son and his first thought was the Royal Flush Gang.  So this cover is from him.

Here's a Royal Flush Gang two-parter

"I can't imagine anything more boring than this cover."

That artisit is seriously aping Wally Wood... right down to the signature.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service