Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 143754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"9. "What Th-?!" (outrageous, inexplicable scenes)"

I withdraw this nomination from consideration on the grounds that it's too similar to this month's.

And it's not just DC. Marvel are just as bad. See this cover - it's a lovely cover, one of my favourites, but the dynamics are all wrong. If the Silver Surfer is just about to crash into Thor, why is Thor's hammer so far back? He has only just started his swing. By the time his hammer connects with the Surfer, it will be far too late. The surfer will have already lopped his head off. Thor's a god. Why then, is his sense of anticipation so bad? 

"4. "Deja Vu" (Homage covers.)"

Also this one, as we did Homages & Parodies in March 2019.  Of the others you suggested, the two that I like the best are:

1. "Logos Into the Act" (Logos destroyed or otherwise affected by the action on the cover)

5. "Identity Crisis" (Dopplegangers)

My suggestion for December or January is snow/winter scenes (but not Christmas ones or those with cold guys like Iceman or Captain Cold).

Peter Wrexham said:

1. "Logos Into the Act" (Logos destroyed or otherwise affected by the action on the cover)

I wonder if there would be enough of these damaged logos to cover a month, especially with multiple posters a day.

Apparently, spanking Superboy was a thing. Was it intended to appeal to kids that were spanked and wished they were invulverable?

Also, how does one forget that one's son is invulnerable?

In another part of the world, can we just assume that, given the 200+ cases she solved before the age of 21 (not counting comic, TV, and movie appearances), that she died of exhaustion?

“When the moon is in the Seventh House

And Jupiter aligns with Mars”

It's the Age of Aquariums!

And there are plenty of aquarium/fishbowl covers if someone want s to follow up on that.

"The plant -- it -- it's a vampire!".

In which case, you don't attack it with an axe.  As I understand it, that the correct way to deal with a vegetable vampire is to impale it on a steak.

"Hey, Supes!!! Remember when I was one of your top three baddies!"

"Shut up, Prankster!"

"Hey, Supes!!! Don't forget to tell your JLA buddies about my Whoopie Cushion of Calamity and my Fake Doggie-Doo of Doom!"

"SHUT UP, PRANKSTER!!"

"Hey Supes!!! How long have we been fighting? Three or four decades? Over pranks?"

"SHUT UP, PRANKSTER!!!"

"Hey Supes!!! I'm still one of your top ten baddies, no matter what!"

"SHUT Upppp...yeah, I know, Prankster!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service