Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 104978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are two more covers demonstrating vampire slaying by means of the Anita Blake stake-with-hammer technique.

Oh, and just to remind folks, the theme for November is "Giants".

Neal Adams drew incredible werewolves (and incredible frightened women!) I apologise if this has already been posted.

Er, Steve, sorry to be picky, but this cover is signed "Gray Morrow".

Steve W said:

Neal Adams drew incredible werewolves (and incredible frightened women!) I apologise if this has already been posted.

Happy Halloween, every body!

For Halloween, I have another cover, a wrap-around cover this time, to go along with the one I posted earlier by John Severin, of Kull fighting werewolves by John Bolton.

And to end the month a cover by James Bama.  Yes, it’s a book over, but we occasionally post book and pulp covers, and, anyway, it’s Doc Savage.

My last one for October

Batman's battle with the Monk, an evil being who was both a vampire and a werewolf, was told three times!

Sorry Peter, I really thought that my posting was an Adams cover.  My source of information was erroneous - you are quite right - the cover was drawn by Gray Morrow.  I think Adams should've drawn it!

I have no more werewolf or vampire covers to post, but given that tonight is Halloween, and that celebrations have been severely toned-down here in England (much to the disgust of my six grandchildren) I'd like to post two fascinating links relating to Halloween.

First - the life and times of Bobby Boris Pickett, who took his single to number 1 in the US Billboard charts in 1963 and re-charted twice in the following 10 years (after 4 labels had turned down the opportunity to record it). He was a one-hit wonder but had an interesting and eventful life - detailed here  

https://people.com/music/monster-mash-bobby-boris-pickett-history/

Second - the amazing party at Chislehurst Caves, Kent, England on October 31, 1974, when Led Zeppelin held a party to celebrate the UK launch of their new label Swansong. Certainly sounds like the sort of thing the 16 year old me would've loved! Read about it here 

https://officialezwah.tumblr.com/post/101477083633/on-this-day-octo...

Sorry no covers. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

To follow on from your story about Led Zeppelin in the UK, Steve, my final covers of the month are from British comics.

Firstly, a couple of encounters from 1983 between Judge Dredd and werewolves.  My money's on the Judge!

My very last cover of the month is from Beano #4059, and shows Minnie the Minx as a vampire confronting the horrific "Invasion of the Normals".  She's evidently as disgusted as Steve's grandchildren are about the state of Hallowe'en!

I'm quietly confident that this will be the most up-to-date comic ever to have appeared in this discussion, as it bears a cover date of today, 31-Oct-20 (though it actually came out a few days ago).

November 1st, a new month and a new theme: Giants.

It occurs to me that the theme could refer to either comics about giants, or giant comics.  I've been assuming the former, but this cover works either way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service