Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 113640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't remember Triplicate Girl wearing all-different clothing before. Wasn't/isn't there a time limit on how long she can split?

Dave Palmer said:

We may need a ruling from the judges on this one.  Trying to figure out the Batch SW6 storyline in LSH continuity makes my brain hurt.  Are the characters in Legionnaires doppelgängers, or do most of the other LSH stories up until 1994 (Zero Hour) feature (retconned) doppelgängers?

Anyway, these covers feature multiple versions of the same character, which is tautological with Triplicate Girl/Triad, so whatever your interpretation of Batch SW6 I should be okay.

I'm pretty sure these two haven't been posted.

I apologize in advance if this sounds like a dumb question, but could someone please clarify what qualifies as a movie cover?

Is it a comic book adaptation of a movie? Existing characters either going to or commenting about a movie? Existing characters starring in a movie? Movie people like Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis appearing in a comic book? All or none of the above?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not the authority on the topic, but I would say yes to those, with the possible exception of "Movie people like Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis appearing in a comic book?" since we've already done real-life people appearing on a comic book cover. We've been pretty broad in our interpretation of past topics.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

I apologize in advance if this sounds like a dumb question, but could someone please clarify what qualifies as a movie cover?

Is it a comic book adaptation of a movie? Existing characters either going to or commenting about a movie? Existing characters starring in a movie? Movie people like Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis appearing in a comic book? All or none of the above?

Thanks in advance.

To Lee: Since "Movies" was my suggestion, any confusion is my fault. Any movie adaptation is good, any cover that features a movie/making a movie/movie theatre is good. Movie parody covers are fine.

Celebrities by themselves are not unless they are connected to a specific movie on the cover.

And we shouldn't include TV shows, at least not at first. We'll see how that goes.

To Richard: Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel wore the same outfit in the Silver Age but in the Bronze Age, she got her purple/orange split costume where one of her would be wearing all purple, the other all orange. Of course, this defeated the whole point of them being identical! 

Later this idea was picked up for the Post-Crisis Triad and the animated Triplicate Girl.

Captain Marvel Jr's doppelgängers may be described as "dangerous" on this cover, but the three of them seem to be getting on with each other just fine.

That's not the case here, however.

Philip Portelli said:

To Lee: Since "Movies" was my suggestion, any confusion is my fault. Any movie adaptation is good, any cover that features a movie/making a movie/movie theatre is good. Movie parody covers are fine.

Celebrities by themselves are not unless they are connected to a specific movie on the cover.

And we shouldn't include TV shows, at least not at first. We'll see how that goes.

That was my understanding, too.

To Richard: Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel wore the same outfit in the Silver Age but in the Bronze Age, she got her purple/orange split costume where one of her would be wearing all purple, the other all orange. Of course, this defeated the whole point of them being identical!

I couldn't help but being reminded of Donald Duck's nephews and their different color hats. 

Or the Beagle Boys with different numbers.

Richard Willis said:

Philip Portelli said:

That was my understanding, too.

I couldn't help but being reminded of Donald Duck's nephews and their different color hats. 

Just wanted to make sure Supes is still in the doppelganger lead as we approach the end of the month.

And - thanks for the clarification on the movie covers rules. I agree that the title needed some basic rules over what constitutes an allowable cover.

Here’s a character I don’t think we’ve seen yet.  Do these count as doppelgängers covers?

Apparently, two different publishers have tried to turn the Barbi Twins into super-adventurers. Apparently they also had a cartoon at one point.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service