Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 102188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hit Girl in India. This cover avoids the obvious tourist landmarks that seem to rearrange themselves when a character visits a "foreign" country:

Batman and Robin climbing the Eiffel Tower! 

"obvious tourist landmarks"

Big Ben in London is one such (though, as Richard correctly points out, Big Ben is actually the bell - the clocktower is the Elizabeth Tower).

The Eiffel Tower in Paris is another.  In fact, though it's not as common a cover landmark as the Statue of Liberty, you could still probably manage a month of covers showing the Eiffel Tower.  We've already had several - here's three more.

Here's an interesting variant, which also features Notre Dame and l'Arc de Triomphe. Now, you can get two of those easily in the same picture, but all three? Once again, landmarks rearrange themselves for a comic-book cover.

Here's another Eiffel Tower

I recently found out that Gustave Eiffel also was responsible for designing the internal framework of the Statue of Liberty.

More Eiffel Tower covers

A trio of Avengers battle the Not-Yet-Invaders in France in front of the Eiffel Tower during WWII!

And its British counterpart some years later!

This recent surge in Eiffel Tower covers hasn't quite been enough to knock England out of first place in terms of the number of covers posted.  By my count, the leader board is:

• 19 covers - England
  • 14 covers - France (counting Philip's two versions of The Avengers "The Final Battle" as one)
  • 8 covers - Italy
  • 5 covers - Africa (precise country unspecified)
  • 4 covers - A tie between Canada, Egypt, Europe (country unspecified) and Scotland
  • 3 covers - A tie between Australia, Mexico and World (multiple countries, unspecified)
  • All other countries on 2, 1 or 0.

In order not to mess up the above statistics, here are three covers featuring countries with no previous appearances.

New Zealand.

Brazil

Iceland

Strangers in Paradise went to the tropics:

A few more Eiffel Tower covers

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service