Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 102188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Uh.... Look up the page a little...

Don't you just hate it when a page break appears unexpectedly?

"Look up the page a little" refers to this pair of posts on page 856...

JD DeLuzio said yesterday:

Here's an interesting variant, which also features Notre Dame and l'Arc de Triomphe. Now, you can get two of those easily in the same picture, but all three? Once again, landmarks rearrange themselves for a comic-book cover.

Richard Willis said 7 hours ago:

Maybe this will help.  Voila, a different comic book series.

Bob Hope was quite the globetrotter as he had adventures in Egypt...

Canada...

and Spain (or Mexico)!

I always (almost always?) check new posts against the ones I have stored. Even more amazing is that I stared at JD's post regarding his comment about Notre Dame Cathedral and still didn't catch the duplication.

Peter Wrexham said:

Here's an interesting variant, which also features Notre Dame and l'Arc de Triomphe. Now, you can get two of those easily in the same picture, but all three? Once again, landmarks rearrange themselves for a comic-book cover.

Richard Willis said 7 hours ago:

All these Eiffel Tower covers are bringing France perilously close to overtaking England in terms of number of appearances.  We can't have that!

Here's a cover that features no fewer than five iconic London sights:  the London Eye; Big Ben/the Elizabeth Tower; red telephone boxes; a double-decker bus; and an homage to the Beatles' Abbey Road album sleeve!

Although the London Eye and Ben Ben are more or less adjacent as shown (they're on opposite sides of the Thames, and on opposite sides of Westminster Bridge), I'm pretty sure that they're not actually visible from Abbey Road.  Also, I think that the album photograph was taken looking north, while the Thames is to the south.  So here's another example of landmarks rearranging themselves for a comic book cover as JD has observed.

I'm a big fan of the UK letterboxes. They all have the initials of the King or Queen who was on the throne when they were erected. This one's from Elizabeth II's father, George VI. I think I saw one with Queen Victoria at one time. Please tell me they haven't been replaced.

Richard, I'm happy to be able to tell you that we still have the red pillar boxes in the UK.  There's an "EIIR" box (for Queen Elizabeth II) right outside my house.  Some of the boxes were repainted gold after the 2012 Olympics in London, to honour British gold-medal winners.  These gold boxes are located in the home towns of the winners.

Richard Willis said:

I always (almost always?) check new posts against the ones I have stored. Even more amazing is that I stared at JD's post regarding his comment about Notre Dame Cathedral and still didn't catch the duplication.

Peter Wrexham said:

Tout à fait, we all go a little wild in Paris:

This pair won’t change the battle for the top spot (but I do have 8 Eiffel Tower covers sitting in my files).

World's Finest Comics #82 has Superman, Batman and Robin replace the Three Musketeers,  storm the Bastille in Paris and free the Man in the Iron Mask! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service