Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 102180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Suicide Squad in Moscow based on a plan by the Penguin, who's brought along to make sure the plan works!

Here are a couple more covers featuring Moscow's candy-striped architecture.

The Austrian Superheroes in "Red Star Moscow".

The Shadow at "Midnight in Moscow".

After a bit of reflection, I've decided to combine the counts for Russia and the Soviet Union so that I don't have to work out whether a cover is set before 1922 or after 1991.  As a result, the count of covers by country is now:

• 29 covers - England
  • 25 covers - France
  • 10 covers - Italy
  • 7 covers - Africa (country unspecified)
  • 6 covers - A tie between Egypt and USSR/Russia
  • 5 covers - A tie between Australia, Canada and Scotland.
  • 4 covers - A tie between Europe (country unspecified) and Mexico
  • 3 covers - A tie between Brazil, Japan, Spain, World (multiple countries, unspecified) and Unknown
  • All other countries on 2, 1 or 0.

Another look at King Arthur’s England

Pete’s in France today

And unspecified Africa

I see your unspecified Africa, and raise you an unspecified South America:

A British TV channel has just announced that it will be showing coverage of the Tour de France cycle race later this month, putting paid to fears that the race might not take place this year.  So, to commemorate the event, here's a relevant cover.

Oddly, this is a German comic.  I suspect it was originally French, but I can't confirm that, as the GCD only has this reprint indexed.

And here's an earlier version of the modern race.

Given that this is a sofa with a British flag on it, this must be an English cover.

Another battle over London!

France, three different covers for the Classics Illustrated version of Les Miserables

Pete’s in Morocco today

and how do we count Zorro?  He’s in California but it’s not part of the US at the time

Is that T-Man our first in a specific African country? Or have we had some Egyptian covers?

In any case, here's a couple more-- in this case, South Africa.

Mighty Man (this version) patrolled Soweto in the 1970s, and eventually received his own movie. Tiger Ingwe fought crime in the townships and rural areas. The concept of an African superhero, in a comic which often featured back-up stories involving local folklore and the lives of prominent athletes has much to recommend it,  it was published by a pro-government publisher and was perceived by many readers as pro-Apartheid. At least one account online suggests the CIA was involved. I have no idea of the veracity of that last claim, but Afri-Comics remains an interesting piece of comic book history.

how do we count Zorro? He’s in California but it’s not part of the US at the time

Well, we've already had a cover featuring Texas, so I guess I'll just add a count for California too.  For that matter, The Crusades also poses a problem.  The medieval Crusades tended to start off in various parts of Europe, head round the Eastern Mediterranean, and end up in the Holy Land in the Middle East.  To avoid massive complications, I'll count the cover under World (multiple countries unspecified)

Is that T-Man our first in a specific African country? Or have we had some Egyptian covers?

So far, we've had six covers for Egypt, and one for Wakanda (at least, that's where I've assumed that the Jungle Action Black Panther story on page 853 is set).

I haven't previously bothered to list the countries with fewer than three covers, but for the sake of completeness, the bottom end of the scorecard looks like this:

• 2 covers - Austria, China, India, Ireland, Norway, South Africa, South America, Tibet.
  • 1 cover - Arabia, California, Central America, Denmark, Ecuador, Germany, Holland, Hong Kong, Iceland, Iran, Israel, Morocco, Nepal, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Panama, Philippines, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Texas, Thailand, Vatican City, Wakanda, Wales.

"Wait!" you say, "When did we have a Vatican City cover?"

That would be this one.  Note that this is not Italy - the Vatican City is a separate city-state, independent from Italy since 1929.

Captain Comet and Hawkgirl must save Superman (kinda) in Japan!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service