Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 71817

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Surfing?  Oh, the horror!

Steve W sai

Is thod, with a 1970 copyright. from Britain in 1970? I seem to recall that British money became decimalized with the beginning of 1970 - with both a P price and a " Bob's and bits , pre-decimal price...for other markets which hadn't decimalized?

d:

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Is thod, with a 1970 copyright. from Britain in 1970? I seem to recall that British money became decimalized with the beginning of 1970 - with both a P price and a " Bob's and bits , pre-decimal price...for other markets which hadn't decimalized?

The first two times I visited my family in England (1972 and 1975) the shilling coin and the "5 new pence" coin were both in circulation and were used interchangeably. The same with the florin coin and the "20 new pence" coin. They had the same value relative to the pound and were identical in size and weight for vending machines and one-armed bandits. The comic being from 1970 showing both 2 shillings and 10 P was probably because people were still getting used to the change.

..Yeah, thank you..

and it now occurs to me that an American comic wouldn"tout " Holiday Dlecisl " on a summer beach gag. It seems to me, anyway, that " Holiday , in British means more , a holiday by the sea/in Blackpool "/whatever.  Far more of America is miles from any sandy - even lakeside, I suppose - beach.

I would imagine that the Popeye cover comes from the summer of 1971, as Britain went decimalised on 15th February 1971.  Companies continued to display both the new "decimal" price and the old "shillings and pence" price for at least six months as the Great British public were still somewhat confused. My gran went to her grave in 1992, still confused!  And yes, definitely, in British English, the word "holiday" always had beach connotations.  The publishers would sell thousands of "Holiday Special" comics in the summer months by displaying covers like this one in the newsagent shops along the seaside fronts all around Britain.

The beach, surfing, World War II and searching for Ben Grimm!

Turok and Kona

Opps, here’s Kona.

Richard Willis said:

I found a different Classics publication of Defoe's "Robinson Crusoe".

What I particularly like about this version is how terrible the art is.  The face of Robinson Crusoe reminds me of pictures showing the 19th century church fresco in Spain that was ruined in 2012 by an elderly woman's attempts at amateur restoration.

More Bugs on the beach. He's using his famous ability to disregard physics on the second cover:

Congratulations, J.D!  You've just made the 7200th post on this discussion (and this is presumably post #7201).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service