Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 6925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Baron said:

Where was Mordo baron of, anyhow?

Or was he just some random nutjob who called himself a baron?

Wait a minute.

Martin Gray said:

Detective 445 - You BEAUTY! It looks hopeful...

Nice! Glad it worked out.

Another doctor from Dell:  Dr. Marsh Tracy (Marshall Thompson).  Daktari #1 (July 1967).

I'll play straight man:  this cover may suggest a reference to Jimmy Olsen #98 (December 1966).

Secret Origins #20 with Doctor Mid-Nite!

Doc was always a sentimental favorite of mine but covers that featured him prominently during the Silver and Bronze Ages were very few and far between!

But, as I said, I liked him and thought he was an important JSAer even though he was never a headliner.

Detective Comics #168. Can you outguess Batman and Robin and name “The Man Behind the Red Hood?”

Ooh! Ooh! Me, me!

I first read this when it was reprinted in the first "Secret Origins of Super Villains" tabloid which, of course, immediately spoiled the ending!

And I just got a LEGO Red Hood figure!

Richard Willis said:

Detective Comics #168. Can you outguess Batman and Robin and name “The Man Behind the Red Hood?”

Ooh! Ooh! Me, me!

Some more Silver-Age from me - Action #381 featuring Superman as "The Dictator of Earth!" A Curt Swan cover.

Our Fighting Forces #96, November 1965, featuring the "Fighting Devil Dog!" Cover by Russ Heath.

And the first silver-age cover appearance of DUO DAMSEL that I can find, having gone through my entire collection. (She did appear on Adventure #340 but as Triplicate Girl).

Somebody did a lot of marking on the cover you posted. I found a cleaner one on GCD.

Thanks Richard. Your copy is much cleaner than mine!

More Silver-Age. Supes as The Devil's Partner.  Cover credited to both Curt Swan and Neal Adams.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service