Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138803

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was the first time I ever encountered a Neal Adams cover.  What a beaut - I practically snatched this off the spinner. I was already an X-Men fan and Cyclops was definitely my favourite. This cover said it all.

My first Superman comic book was also my first Neal Adams... and a purple cover!

Kal had the whole set of collectible LSH action figures?!? Even out of the package, that has to be worth some serious coin.

Philip Portelli said:

However it was far more important to me that it was the very first time I ever saw THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES and I was instantly hooked!

To Richard Willis: My first trip to any dentist wasn't until my late 20s to get a wisdom tooth removed, so you can imagine how that went.

Now then, to continue down memory lane...

My first anniversary issue of any title was Action Comics 484, which celebrated Superman's 40th anniversary.

Not being familiar with the concept at the time, I didn't get the tell tale clue on the cover about where the story took place but I do remember the media sensation the event made when the news broke that Superman and Lois were due to (finally) get married.

While Nick Cardy (Action 434, etc) and Jose Luis Garcia Lopez are both great (cover) artists, my first Neal Adams cover wasn't until the next issue because it reprinted part of Superman #233. (Unfortunately, to this day I still lack having any of the "Sand Superman" Saga in my collection, but that's another matter.)

In my humble opinion, while Cardy, Lopez, Adams, and George Perez are the best DC UNIVERSE artists, Curt Swan will always be THE Superman artist in my book, ESPECIALLY when inked by Murphy Anderson.

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

You must have heard of Deadman before, otherwise his out of context statement on the cover would have been puzzling.

Philip Portelli said:

Normally the revelation would have been earth-shattering in any comic NOT written by Bob Haney but it didn't take long for young-me to realize that it wasn't "for real". Still it was the first time that I encountered Deadman and had some great reprints.

However it was far more important to me that it was the very first time I ever saw THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES and I was instantly hooked!

I don't have any "my firsts" for now.

This cover is not only great, but was one of the best Imaginary Stories I had read, at least back then . It was also a rare exception at the time as a book-length story. Virtually all issues back then had two or three stories.

Reasons for picking this JLA cover as a favourite:

- I love the title: "Outcasts of Infinity" sends shivers up and down my spine!
- Murphy Anderson's always-gorgeous inking over Mike Sekowsky's pencils.
- The issue itself is the subject of one of my earliest memories of reading American comics.

It is cover-dated February 1964.  At that time, unsold comics were often shipped to the UK for sale, arriving months after they had appeared in the US.  I probably picked up this issue in the late summer of 1964, when I would have been eleven.  After all these years, I no longer own the comic, and don't remember the story at all (though the synopsis on the GCD sounds slightly familiar).  However, I distinctly recall being puzzled that the hero in red on the cover, whom I recognised as Giant-Man, was called The Flash in this comic.

Despite my comments yesterday about never being a fan of Marvel, I evidently read at least some of their comics in my formative years!

"D" is for Detective. My second issue of Detective Comics was my first "Joker" story.

Who would want a set of NON-posable Legion figures?

Oh, wait...I would!!!

JD DeLuzio said:

Kal had the whole set of collectible LSH action figures?!? Even out of the package, that has to be worth some serious coin.

Philip Portelli said:

Which I have! :-)

And I wasn't crazy about Cosmic Boy and Chameleon Boy's poses, let me tell you!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

This fandom site usually has more detailed synopses of comics

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Justice_League_of_America_Vol_1_25

Peter Wrexham said:

......the synopsis on the GCD sounds slightly familiar). 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service