Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 105237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two Daredevils from me. The first one comes from Lev Gleason and this particular issue was published in November 1944. Cover art by Charles Biro.

The second, and perhaps more memorable Daredevil, was launched in 1964 by Stan Lee and artist Bill Everett.

The original looks like somebody took a black marker to the girl's hair and it wasn't supposed to be black. Also a lot of black on Daredevil.

What's the deal with him? Is he free to anybody as long as you make up a new name for him? Or just the Lev Gleason issues?

According to Wikipedia, (Lev Gleason's Daredevil)

"Other publishers

Daredevil is now in the public domain, and as a result many publishers have used him to varying degrees.

AC Comics

In the late 1980s, AC Comics revived Daredevil as part of that publisher's superhero universe. Renamed Reddevil,[1][2] he appeared as a guest character in Femforce #45 and #50[3][4] before starring in the one-shot title Reddevil #1 (1991).[5]

First Publications[edit]

Daredevil was one of the many Golden Age heroes who showed up in Roy ThomasAlter Ego mini-series. He is renamed as Doubledare.

Image Comics[edit]

Daredevil is one of several public domain Golden Age characters set to appear in Image Comics' Next Issue Project, spearheaded by Image's publisher Erik Larsen.

Daredevil also appeared in issue #141 of Larsen's Savage Dragon comic series. That issue served to resurrect a slew of public domain Golden Age characters. Savage Dragon #148 debuted Daredevil as a regular supporting cast member in the series. That issue also brought back the Little Wise Guys. Daredevil becomes deeply involved in the problems of Dragon's ravaged Chicago; he becomes severely injured battling a murderous version of Dragon."

I guess that's because he ceased to be published in 1950 and the publisher Gleason went out of business in 1956. Therefore no copyright existed. 

From Dell here's Donald Duck!

Dynamo #1 August 1966.

My "D" publisher is... Defiant. (I cop to liking The Good Guys as well.)

Before Dragon Ball, there was Dr. Slump...

Justice League of America #154: the debut of the "new" Doctor Destiny!

A favourite of mine  DC SPECIAL #5, featuring the fabulous artwork of Joe Kubert. I remember buying this when it first came out.

Dr. Fate, second appearance, first cover appearance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service