Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 91370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How many board games can have their own comic?

"I didn't do it!!!"

JD DeLuzio said:

Do we track stats of how long we go each month before the first repost? Because I think that "Blondie and Dagwood" may be the first repost of the month.

Did someone say "stats"?

Honestly, I don't usually do this, but in the cause of counting the appearances of each type of game, I have been keeping a list of covers posted this month.  As a result, I can confirm that the Blondie and Dagwood cover has been posted twice.  First time was here, on 1st January, the second cover of the month, the second time was on 16th.  This was the first repost of the month, as JD suspects.

We have also had three occasions where two separate covers bearing approximately the same image have appeared (Superadventure Comics reprinted from World's Finest, Mickey Maus translated from Walt Disney, and variant editions of an issue of Deadpool), but I don't think those should count as reposts.  I've counted those pairs of covers as contributing only a single appearance of the appropriate game.

My counts for the month are now as shown below.  Note that, following Dave's post of a romance cover that featured three games, I've decided to count each of those games separately, and retroactively applied that decision to the cover of Groo I'd previously posted.

• Cards - 80
  • Chess - 35
  • Tarot (or similar) - 13
  • Checkers/Draughts - 9
  • Roulette - 5
  • Dice - 5
  • Monopoly - 2
  • Generic board game - 2 (similar to Snakes/Chutes & Ladders)
  • Scrabble - 1 (disguised version) 
  • Dominoes - 1
  • Tiddlywinks - 1
  • Skittle Pool- 1
  • Ka-Bala - 1
  • Clue(do) - 1

Is broomstick-riding part of the curriculum at Ninja High School?

"Mystery's in the cards".

It's been awhile since we've heard from these guys:

Dave Palmer said:

I mentioned this month’s theme to my son and his first thought was the Royal Flush Gang.  So this cover is from him.

From one of my favorite current series

I’ll help out the chess side out — not a chess board but at least it has a chess piece

Where does this title fit in with our theme?

Dave Palmer said:

Where does this title fit in with our theme?

The title of the story is "Two Dice for Sister Sara", so I'll count it as the sixth Dice cover!

We've only had one cover from a war comic so far this month.  Let's rectify that with some covers from Britain's Commando comic.

Two covers with playing cards:

One cover with (approximately) Tarot cards.

Your move!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service