Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 113806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do we really need rules excluding titles? People are going to search for less-common werewolves and vampires for bragging rights.

Though a limit per day per poster isn't a bad idea generally.

Also: this month may have ruined "mysterious rogue ringed planets" as a future theme!

I'm fine with the three-cover-a-day rule but, like JD, too many rules make my eyes glaze over. We want it to still be fun.

Since we've had so many werewolf/vampire covers this month, maybe just say no covers duplicating June in addition to the normal no-duplicates within July.

Since I seem to get carried away with multiple covers, I’m fine with reining that in.  I also don’t plan too much ahead so I better save my remaining werewolf/vampire covers.

Although I have been on the lookout for “mysterious rogue ringed planets” covers

The Shadow meets the Avenger, and another Batman.... looking a little like Bunnyman.

Bunnyman... Bunnyman...

There seems to be a bit of confusion about when we're doing "Vampires and Werewolves" - Philip mentioned August and Richard mentioned July.  My understanding is that the current schedule for the next few months is:

• July - Flags and patriotic symbols (but not statues!)
  • August - Foreign (non-US) locations
  • September - MST3K (and some time we need to clarify exactly what that means!)
  • October - Vampires and Werewolves
  • November - Giants

I hope that's still okay with everyone.

Since covers not infrequently get repeated within a month, it's probably a bit optimistic to think that *don't repeat V&W covers that were posted in June" would work to keep October's covers fresh.  I'll probably just try and avoid V&W covers that also display the Moon as a way of preventing re-posts from June, though others may work in different ways.

I'd suggest a slight modification to Philip's rule 1 (listing various titles to avoid).  How about, "try not to post a cover from a series where the protagonist is a V/W unless there's another V/W also shown, or the cover is particularly noteworthy in some way".  Also, are we okay with adding Frankenstein's monster, mummies etc into the mix, or do we save them for another October?

And I agree that we should each try to restrict our postings to no more than three covers per day.  (Looks sadly at the 30 or 40 unused "Moon" covers I still have - though, honestly, I never intended to post them all!)

The same Moon from two different angles!

“Only three cover a day, only three covers a day...”. Keep saying that to yourself Dave.

We all know how much comic book fans like “anniversaries,” and we are approaching a big milestone, probably within the week.  We are getting ready for our 10,000th post.  I’m not about to search every nook and cranny of this website to make sure, but I think this would be the first thread to achieve that “anniversary” (I know, I know).  

If we can work it out, I think we should reserve post 10,000 for Steve W for getting this whole thing started.

I've been keeping an eye of the numbers of replies too, Dave, and anticipating the big 10,000.  I think it's a great idea if we can manage to let Steve do the honours!

Incidentally, one puzzling thing.  Your post seems to be the 9,948th reply to the thread:

By my calculations, that should make it the last post on page 829 (829 pages with 12 posts per page makes 829x12=9948 replies).  However, it's the 11th post on the page, and (unless someone else sneaks in before I hit "Add Reply"), this post of mine will be the 12th.  Curious!

Edited to add: Yes, this is the 12th on page 829, but number 9949 in total.  So, if I've not made a mistake in the arithmetic, post 10,000 will be the 3rd reply on page 833.  Remember that, everyone!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service