Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 117664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also have this cover in my files.  Are both real?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

........who remembers Quisp and Quake cereals? The mascots were always in "competition"... a sort of "win-win" for the Quaker Oats company.

The closest minor league baseball team to where I live is the Rancho Cucumonga Quakes. Their mascots are Tremor and Aftershock.

Not a cover, but this had to be posted.

"Their mascots are Tremor and Aftershock."

They look like they could be breakfast cereal mascots. 

For those who missed "Quake" after it lost to "Quisp," the exact same cereal was to resurface a few years later re-branded as "King Vitaman."

I finally tracked it down. The word 'Janus' rang a bell with me - I remembered that there was a character of that name featured in Smash! Comics - a favourite of mine in the late 60s (it featured black and white repros of Batman & Robin).  Via wikipedia I tracked him down - "Janus Stark".  Janus Stark was about an escapologist in Victorian London who appeared to be simply an unusual act on the music hall stage, but who privately used his extraordinary abilities to battle against injustice. Stark had an unusually flexible bone structure, enabling him to get out of an astonishing variety of tight situations at need.

I can't find him on any Smash! cover but I found a strip page reprinted in a book I own called "Great British Comics".  And that, my friends, is how I spend most of my evenings during lockdown - tracking elusive trivia! 

Dave Palmer said:

A whole bunch of Supergirls

Dave Palmer said:

I also have this cover in my files.  Are both real?

The first version of this cover is the only one shown on GCD and the DC wiki.  I notice that the second cover has no barcode in the bottom left, and no price in the top left.  I suspect that it may be a fake!

Here are covers with Janus Stark

He is mentioned on this one


He is one of the cover features on this one


Here he has the cover to himself

Is that him in the upper right corner?


Here is a series from France.  Best as I can figure it ran 135 issues.  I posted #13 a while ago.  I can’t vouch that he is on all 135 covers, but a bunch of them.



Steve W said:

I finally tracked it down. The word 'Janus' rang a bell with me - I remembered that there was a character of that name featured in Smash! Comics - a favourite of mine in the late 60s (it featured black and white repros of Batman & Robin).  Via wikipedia I tracked him down - "Janus Stark".  Janus Stark was about an escapologist in Victorian London who appeared to be simply an unusual act on the music hall stage, but who privately used his extraordinary abilities to battle against injustice. Stark had an unusually flexible bone structure, enabling him to get out of an astonishing variety of tight situations at need.

I can't find him on any Smash! cover but I found a strip page reprinted in a book I own called "Great British Comics".  And that, my friends, is how I spend most of my evenings during lockdown - tracking elusive trivia! 

Is this a costume she ever wore?  After Crisis my Supergirl knowledge is really spotty.

Peter Wrexham said:

Dave Palmer said:

I also have this cover in my files.  Are both real?

The first version of this cover is the only one shown on GCD and the DC wiki.  I notice that the second cover has no barcode in the bottom left, and no price in the top left.  I suspect that it may be a fake!


If I’m going to create a mess, I should try to clean it up.   These two links should help clear up the Supergirl cover mystery.

https://www.deviantart.com/wwcape/gallery/67957002/tdnaos-10-12

https://www.deviantart.com/wwcape/art/TDNAOS13-Clones-Cover-New-782...

It appears to be the work of wwcape.

The Daring New Adventures of Supergirl had plenty of doppelgängers.

Actually they're the same doppelgangers as it's all one story!

Batman has also scored fairly high in the duplicate department, though my money's still on Suplicates for the win:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service