Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 110958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Dave Palmer

and so as not to upset the balance between England and France, here is a cover (I assume) for England (Peter, it’s a few days off from my 21st birthday, the 10th, but close; no matter where I am in the world I never have to think about how to write my birthday, it’s always 10/10).

Dave, I gather from that, that your 21st was on 10th October 1979, which is quite incredible because I was 21 just 21 days earlier, on 19th september 1979.  Peter has already revealed that he is five years older. Therefore I can only deduce that only men of a certain age are drawn to this thread!  Perhaps Philip and Jeff are much younger.  

We do seem to be on the high end of age.  Maybe that just means we have 50 or 60 plus years of comic book memories to share.  There seems to be only a handful of us who post regularly.  I do hope others pop in every once and a while to see what we are up to, even if they don’t post.  I think this month might be particularly interesting for people just stopping by for a laugh.

Steve W said:

@Dave Palmer

and so as not to upset the balance between England and France, here is a cover (I assume) for England (Peter, it’s a few days off from my 21st birthday, the 10th, but close; no matter where I am in the world I never have to think about how to write my birthday, it’s always 10/10).

Dave, I gather from that, that your 21st was on 10th October 1979, which is quite incredible because I was 21 just 21 days earlier, on 19th september 1979.  Peter has already revealed that he is five years older. Therefore I can only deduce that only men of a certain age are drawn to this thread!  Perhaps Philip and Jeff are much younger.  

I'm 56.

THEME NOMINATIONS (suggested by Captain Comics himself back when CBG was running "10 Favorite Covers" from comics professionals):

1. "Logos Into the Act" (Logos destroyed or otherwise affected by the action on the cover)

2. "I Quit" (The hero packs it in and retires)

3. "Cheesecake So Good You Can Show It to Your Wife" (self-explanatory)

4. "Deju Vu"(Homage covers.)

5. "Itentity Crisis" (Dopplegangers)

6. "Hero Rampant" (An iconic image the defines the character.)

7. "He's Dead, Jim" (self-explanatory)

8. "Monocrome" (or limited palette)

9. "What Th-?!" (outrageous, inexplicable scenes)

10. "Liplock" (Kissing)

11. "The Big Reveal" (the hero's secret revealed!)

COMEDY COVER CAPERS #2 (OF 4):

ROBIN: Who'd you tangle with Batman? A ferocious tiger?

BATMAN: No, Robin... a MOTH!

This one's remarkable in that Batman and Robin are laughing uproariously watching The Penguin almost certainly killed by power lines. The only reason he wasn't is that he's a fictional character.

This cover just raises so many questions:

1.If Captain Marvel yells, "Shazam!" does the thief end up holding Billy Batson's clothes? Even his underwear? Will he suddenly have a pair of dirty sneakers in his left hand?

2. Given that Billy's clothes transform with him, what will happen to that barrel? Will it downgrade to a poorer-quality barrel? Or, given that it's an ordinary enough barrel already, when the Captain becomes BIlly, will the barrel go the other way, and become some kind of Marvel-Barrel?

3. Why is there even a barrel in what seems a very remote location?

4. If Billy says, "Shazam!" near a barn with a lightning rod, is the lightning redirected, and does the barn become a mansion?

5. Why is this situation even a problem, unless the guy who stole his suit also has the speed of Mercury?

“Wanda, what part of Scarlet Witch are you unclear on?”

Alternatively, "R.I.P. Groot".

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Got wood?"

Apparently, this guard has been standing with his back to the exhibit while about five feet of ice melted, exposing the pithecanthrope giant's arm, and he never noticed a thing?  It's a miracle that there are any exhibits left on display, if he's equally alert against theft!

Also, what an appropriate cover for a comic called Chamber of Chills!

COMEDY COVER CAPERS #3 (OF 4):

CATWOMAN: I'll toss you for him, Batgirl! Heads, you win!

BATGIRL: Don't con me, Catwoman! Your coins only have tails!

And why does the suit look like it's waving bye-bye?

And why is Cap tiptoeing as if his feet aren't invulnerable?

JD DeLuzio said:

This cover just raises so many questions:

1.If Captain Marvel yells, "Shazam!" does the thief end up holding Billy Batson's clothes? Even his underwear? Will he suddenly have a pair of dirty sneakers in his left hand?

2. Given that Billy's clothes transform with him, what will happen to that barrel? Will it downgrade to a poorer-quality barrel? Or, given that it's an ordinary enough barrel already, when the Captain becomes BIlly, will the barrel go the other way, and become some kind of Marvel-Barrel?

3. Why is there even a barrel in what seems a very remote location?

4. If Billy says, "Shazam!" near a barn with a lightning rod, is the lightning redirected, and does the barn become a mansion?

5. Why is this situation even a problem, unless the guy who stole his suit also has the speed of Mercury?

"There's nothing...NOTHING I can do to get rid of that spit curl!"

Or

"I told him not to read those Post-Crisis books!"

Or

"Brainy, I can't stop seeing Cosmic Boy in that outfit!"

I just love this LSH cover. Is this a proven scientific fact - that, just using lightning, you can transfer the life-force from a live human to a dead one?  Who tested this theory? And why does it work with aliens? Is it possible to transfer the life force from a Saturnion to an Earthling? How about a Kryptonian? If it works with alien life forms, would it work with a dog, cat or horse?

If such technology exists in the 30th century, why are there any deaths? Surely you could just keep reviving old people by swapping the life force of a dog with an old person.

So many questions - so few answers.

COMEDY COVER CAPERS #4 (OF 4):

ROBIN: AHA! I'm on the track of the guy who stole Batman's suit!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service