Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 110146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doctor Strange #169. The first issue under this title, continuing the numbering of Strange Tales. A great cover by Dan Adkins.

I don't think we've had Devil Kids yet (1962).

Also no matter what was happening to them, both women managed to hang onto their high heels. Some artists back then seemed to think that was a body part that couldn't be removed. I have an art instruction book by Andrew Loomis and almost every single sketch is of a woman wearing nothing but high heels. Loomis is one of Alex Ross' biggest influences. Wonder how many other artists were heavily influenced by him?

Steve W said:

@Ronald Morgan - two very different covers! How things changed in just a short space of time. However in both covers I note that both the women have tiny waists. I guess that was an accepted norm.  My wife would kill for a waist like that!

Marvel Feature #2: the second appearance of the Defenders as they battle Dormammu!

I had a coverless copy of this for the longest time and feel that it's a stronger story than Marvel Feature #1. Ross Andru did a great job on this one and Roy Thomas had the teaming up make sense and gave everyone some great bits!

Detective Eye #2, Dec 1940. Publisher Centaur. Cover artwork by Frank Thomas.

As well as The Eye, Frank created Chuck Hardy, Dr. Hypno, and Solarman (no relation to the Marvel Comics superhero of the same name). Later in his career, he worked for Dell on The Owl, Billy and Bonnie Bee, Buddies and other characters. He wrote scripts for Andy Panda, Little Lulu, Woody Woodpecker and Little Scouts.

D-Day #2, Fall 1964, publisher Charlton.  Cover art by Dick Gordiano. Interestingly, Wally Wood drew, inked and lettered most of the inside stories.

DANGER #12, June 1955, publisher Charlton. The cover art is not credited but I suspect it's another Dick Gordiano.

One last one from me tonight, then I'm retiring to bed. This is another Dick Gordiano cover. It's Drag-Strip Hotrodders #4, June 1965, publisher Charlton.

Has Destroyer Duck come up yet?

I have to admit, I felt quite rebellious getting this series!

Phantom Strange #33. Another great Deadman cover.

Adventure #317, Feb 1964. First appearance of DREAM GIRL. Cover art Curt Swan.

The Lonely Hearts Podcast chaps did a fun episode on Cowgirl Romances: http://siskoid.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/lonely-hearts-episode-3-calam...

Steve W said:

Followed by COWGIRL ROMANCES #12 from December 52. Publisher Fiction House. The artwork isn't credited on my source document but I suspect it's Maurice Whitman.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service