Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 47615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two Peril covers from the western Johnny Thunder, who came after DC dumped the JSA-Johnny.

"Your picture didn't make it."

I can see it...?

Pawn of the Power Prism!”

Princess Projectra

When I decided to go with Princess Projectra I wanted to use a cover that wasn’t her first appearance since I think we already used Adventure Comics #346 for another letter.  I was hoping I would find one.  The last thing I expected was to find how many there were.  Of the 35 issues from #346 to the end of its run in #380, Superboy/Superman appeared on every cover, although I think an argument can be made that he technically isn’t on the cover of #372.  This was to be expected since it was “Superboy and the LSH.”  Next came Cosmic  Boy (okay, that makes sense, he’s one of the founders), and third (!) was Princess Projectra, ahead of many of the Legion’s heavy hitters, such as  Mon- El, Lightning  Lad, Ultra Boy, and Saturn  Girl.  Actually, Princess Projectra was tied for third with Brainac 5 and Duo  Damsel, but I subtracted one each for those two since their appearance on #348’s cover was as statues.  Mostly, Princess  Projectra was just standing/sitting around, or running away, but who knew she was so popular in the Silver Age.

Sorry all. Have been away for a week. I see you've all posted some excellent covers.  My apologies to The Baron for posting the same cover as he had - just one day later! I genuinely had not seen his post - which makes my choice all the weirder! Here's my offer for today. Popular Comics #68, October 1941. Published by Dell/Western Publishing.

Just spotted this - Superman's iconic cover to #146 looks remarkably like this cover from Planet Stories, which came out 13 years earlier.

Correction:  Superboy/Superman did not appear on the cover of #374.  It featured Supergirl and Ultra Boy.

Dave Palmer said:

Princess Projectra

When I decided to go with Princess Projectra I wanted to use a cover that wasn’t her first appearance since I think we already used Adventure Comics #346 for another letter.  I was hoping I would find one.  The last thing I expected was to find how many there were.  Of the 35 issues from #346 to the end of its run in #380, Superboy/Superman appeared on every cover, although I think an argument can be made that he technically isn’t on the cover of #372.  This was to be expected since it was “Superboy and the LSH.”  Next came Cosmic  Boy (okay, that makes sense, he’s one of the founders), and third (!) was Princess Projectra, ahead of many of the Legion’s heavy hitters, such as  Mon- El, Lightning  Lad, Ultra Boy, and Saturn  Girl.  Actually, Princess Projectra was tied for third with Brainac 5 and Duo  Damsel, but I subtracted one each for those two since their appearance on #348’s cover was as statues.  Mostly, Princess  Projectra was just standing/sitting around, or running away, but who knew she was so popular in the Silver Age.

Believe it or not, Phantom Girl has the longest continuous run as a Legionnaire, never leaving the group since she joined. She doesn't appear prominently on many covers, even in stories where she's featured prominently. Here's Legion of Super-Heroes #275 by Dave Cockrum who redesigned her now-iconic double-ponytails and bellbottoms! 

"Powerless Before the Punisher!"

It's almost as if Phantom Girl had been drawn by Mike Sekowsky (and Dick Giordano).  Just look at her left hand.  Hmmm, a Diana Prince/Phantom Girl team-up -- that would have been easy for the colorist.  Throw in Marvel's White Tiger (Ava Ayala) and Charlton's Captain Atom villain, The Ghost, as the bad guy and you've got quite the inter-company crossover going.  Who else should be in this "white out" crossover?

Philip Portelli said:

Believe it or not, Phantom Girl has the longest continuous run as a Legionnaire, never leaving the group since she joined. She doesn't appear prominently on many covers, even in stories where she's featured prominently. Here's Legion of Super-Heroes #275 by Dave Cockrum who redesigned her now-iconic double-ponytails and bellbottoms! 

Perils of the Psycho-Pirate

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service