Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 105929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Peter Wrexham said:

These patriotic national flags are all very well, but you know who else has a cool flag?

Pirates!

I was going to post these ones later this month, but they make a good follow up. Rated AAAR! of course:

Here are two consecutive covers of Fightin' Marines, showing two opposing flags. In the upper left corner of both is a medal. It should have been the Navy Cross (which is awarded for Navy or Marine Corps heroism), but it isn't. The one shown is the Distinguished Service Cross (Army). So whoever put this on the cover of Fightin' Marines may have thought that the Marine Corps was part of the Army. The Air Force equivalent of these is the Distinguished Flying Cross. The three service crosses are the closest one can get to the Medal of Honor without getting it (and yes, there are three different Medals of Honor).

Not too crazy about the blurbs "Action Thrills" and "Rip-Snorting Combat Tales"

Talking of national symbols, there are a couple of iconic ones here...

Following up on a couple of our recent themes

Philip has given us the flag of the Legion.  Richard and Dave have given us "Raising the flag at Iwo Jima".  Here's a cover, recycled from March 2019's "Homage and Parody" month, which combines the two.

And here's another "Iwo Jima" homage that hasn't, I think, been previously posted.

The "Superman as Tyrant" trope has been seen before and is understandable, since he's unstoppable. But "Superman as Hitler" is just freaky!

"For victory, buy War Bonds"

Another from 1942

Here's a couple of unorthodox uses of the design of the Union Jack flag.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service