Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jimmy Olsen's good for a lot of purple covers. Here's one:

I got this one signed by Dave Cockrum!

So, let's see, the theme of the month is favourite purple covers now?  Well, I had been intending to keep this one for the JSA's anniversary month in November.  However, it's very definitely purple, and it's also one of my favourite comics of the sixties, with art by Murphy Anderson, who seems to have featured on a lot of my choices this month.

Lotsa purple in this one, and it's also a favorite Sienkewicz of mine.

This one happens to be purple, but I picked it because I like the composition.

By coincidence, I do have a "purple" cover to share with everyone.

From my early reading days, the Nick Cardy cover was eye catching (especially Lois) and the interior stories enjoyable, but it would still be years before I ever saw a picture of Flash #123's cover (have read that story only in reprints) and realized what Action 445 was honoring.

But was the last line of the Flash caption box brag or foresight?

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

Wait.... So it's favorite purple covers?

I do prefer these guys, however:

How about a character wearing purple.  Here is Merryman, the leader of the Inferior Five, a silly comic I enjoyed when it first came out.  Here he is facing off against another character wearing purple who looks like another character who wears purple, if only I could place who.

I found many, many, many Marvel comics that were purple on the top third of the cover, which makes sense to me if it is believed that purple attracts the eye. That would be the part the purchaser would see on a typical spinner rack.

Since JD (briefly?) opened that door...

In my personal opinion, there is no such thing as a bad Beatles song, except maybe "Number 9". Although I'm too young to remember the Beatles first run, I am old enough to know they were a lot more than just Sir Paul McCartney's first backup group.

Anyway, while I liked his music with and without the New Power Generation or as the unpronounceable symbol, the following represents my favorite Prince song.

This cover wasn't made for a spinner rack, but does have a lot of purple on it.

G-Dog (as in "who's a good dog?") is a magical combination of a man and a corgi who has super powers.

Here's the following cover, a tribute to the Legion of Super-Pets

Lee Houston, Junior said:

By coincidence, I do have a "purple" cover to share with everyone.

From my early reading days, the Nick Cardy cover was eye catching (especially Lois) and the interior stories enjoyable, but it would still be years before I ever saw a picture of Flash #123's cover (have read that story only in reprints) and realized what Action 445 was honoring.

But was the last line of the Flash caption box brag or foresight?

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

As a matter of interest, we saw quite a few covers inspired by Flash #123 during March 2019, when the theme was "Homage and Parody Covers".  Take a look here, here or here.

On the subject of The Flash, I rather lost interest in Barry's comic later on in its run, and had given up reading it long before the interminable "Trial of the Flash" saga.  But after he was killed in Crisis on Infinite Earths, and Wally West took over the role, I got enthused again.  When he got his own comic after Legends, I started buying the new series, so I'll pick the first issue of that as another favourite.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service