Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 97064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Comics' Greatest World X issue 1, publisher Dark Horse.

I don’t think we have had XS yet

The X-Humed!!

To show how temporary Death is in the Marvel Universe, these dead X-Men are not X-Men at all except for the Changeling who died as Professor X (and died in the X-Men cartoon as Morph). the others were Harry Leland from the Hellfire Club, Scale-Face who was a Morlock and the Living Diamond from Cyclops' "origin" and I had to look that up!

The Lions of Xuja

So - two years to the day from the date that this thread started.  Two years on and we've covered quite a number of covers!  I'm so glad that you all joined me in making this a successful thread - I think there's something very uplifting in posting 'a cover a day'. I love nothing better than logging on to see what covers have been posted since my last visit.  I was away for quite a while in the summer, as we sold our holiday cottage and bought a static caravan in Wales which took up a lot of my time.  However since September I've been back and rarely has a day gone by where I haven't logged in to check out the latest posts.

In celebration, I'll post a few more of my favourite X-Men covers - all from the silver-age. As a youngster I didn't buy many Marvel comics - the fact that the storylines didn't finish in each comic was a big setback here in England, as you never knew when the next issue of that particular title would be in the shops. It could sometimes be six months before the next comic appeared. I generally bought DC - I loved the whole Superman legend thing and loved the fact that stories were tied up by the end of the comic. However I made an exception for X-Men - the stories were so interesting and personal to me that I had to buy each one as soon as it appeared on the spinner. Back in '71 I had a complete run - from #10 to #60 - if only I'd kept them all!

A cover reference to Star Boy’s home planet of Xanthu

When I read X-Men #90 (O'74), I knew that it was a reprint that proclaimed that "Professor X Is DEAD!" but I had seen the Professor very much alive in Captain America and The Defenders. It took me years to find out the whole story! 

M.F.’s  Captain Marvel who was an android who would split into separate parts when he yelled “Spllt” and those parts would rejoin when he yelled “Xam.”

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service