Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 97211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JD DeLuzio said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Another Baby Huey.

When I was in college, I had a (pretty obnoxious) roommate for a time who, when he found out I liked comic books, made fun of me for supposedly reading Baby Huey. At that time I had never even HEARD of Baby Huey! Jerk.

Forgive me, but I'm picturing someone saying this to a documentary camera. It pulls out on, "at that time, I had never even HEARD of Baby Huey," showing the speaker sitting in a room filled with the world's largest collection of Baby Huey comics and memorabilia.

YET another Baby Huey!

An elephant is so huge and heavy that its weight defies even the super-strong Supes!

Was this published during a time they had depowered him?

Steve W said:

An elephant is so huge and heavy that its weight defies even the super-strong Supes!

Those tusks look more like a mastodon's but, anyway, this issue of Mammoth Comics from 1938 is I think our oldest proboscidean cover thus far.

Another oldie

It’s been a while since I last checked, so let’s see what Little Audrey’s been up to.

I love how, in comicland, whether you live in a North American suburb or go to a big city high school, it's perfectly natural and unsurprising to come across elephants and gorillas. Melvin is clearly thinking, "gee, Audrey has a great way to do the leaves," and not, "where the heck did she get that trained baby elephant?"

A collection of the Little Orphan Annie newspaper strips from 1927.

An even earlier cover, from a 1909 copy of the satirical magazine Judge.

A much more recent use of the Elephant and Donkey imagery, on a 1956 Mad cover.

Geez, I thought Tarxan and Tantor were friends!

Another Little Audrey

My favorite Tarzan cover, which I used to own

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service