Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 105479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Were the Zarbi related to the Zanti Misfits (The Outer Limits)?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The Zarbi have turned up at Big Finish (and they come off much better in the realm of the listener's imagination than in that of 1960s-era television). I have always thought the Doctor/Donna "giant wasp" story was RTD's take on the Zarbi. And weren't the "Ood" from the Zarbi's neighboring planet (implied)?

Peter Wrexham said:

Considering the number of broken and boarded-up windows visible, I'm not surprised that the owners of the Baxter Building have decided that they don't want the FF as tenants any longer.

I was going to comment on the broken and boarded-up windows. Without rereading it, I think Reed made a bad investment and couldn't pay the (no doubt high) rent. I guess their costumes weren't patched because of the "unstable molecules."

Meanwhile, in the thirtieth century...

If you didn't tell me that was Imra I wouldn't have known. I gave up the Weisinger titles in the early 60s. She didn't look like that back then.

Two different jungles, two different problems.

Let’s check in on Little Audrey.

”Oh, Little Audrey, that has to be the wurst solution to a flat tire ever.”

Hey, Hal, I hope you don't think I'm trying to teach you your job, but have you noticed that the spaceship itself isn't yellow?

Dave Palmer said:

”Oh, Little Audrey, that has to be the wurst solution to a flat tire ever.”

What a silly sausage!

I'd be remiss if I didn't also draw our attention to the wurst Hula Hoop as well.

"Who is it? From 40,000 AD? James Arness? Ben Grimm? Mothra? The Hand? Who? Who?"

Philip Portelli said:
"Who is it? From 40,000 AD? James Arness? Ben Grimm? Mothra? The Hand? Who? Who?"

I never noticed what great teeth Ben Grimm has as the Thing. Were they that good before the cosmic rays? (also, the cosmic ray in the Flash/GL team-up apparently didn't cause Flash to mutate, even though mutating is one of the things he does best.). 

JD DeLuzio said:

Philip Portelli said:

I enjoyed the Enemy Ace stories. I was a little put off by these attempts to lure superhero fans.

Forgot about Thing 1 and Thing 2!

Thanks Dave. You're spot on - I was 62 on Saturday. We were away on vacation (holiday) for a few days, celebrating, but I'm back now.  Thanks for your very kind wishes.

Dave Palmer said:

It seems that here in the “A Cover a Day” pocket universe in the Captain Comics multiverse that we have a birthday.

Happy Birthday Steve!

Steve W said:

@Dave Palmer

and so as not to upset the balance between England and France, here is a cover (I assume) for England (Peter, it’s a few days off from my 21st birthday, the 10th, but close; no matter where I am in the world I never have to think about how to write my birthday, it’s always 10/10).

Dave, I gather from that, that your 21st was on 10th October 1979, which is quite incredible because I was 21 just 21 days earlier, on 19th september 1979.  Peter has already revealed that he is five years older. Therefore I can only deduce that only men of a certain age are drawn to this thread!  Perhaps Philip and Jeff are much younger.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service