Ok, here's an idea for a fun contest. I post a section from a comic cover and you guys try and guess what cover it's from.Whoever guesses correctly, gets to post a portion of a cover themselves, and we all get to guess. It's not good form to post a very tiny part of the cover, as it makes the contest too difficult.

Here's my starter - a clue is that this particular cover (like all of mine) is from the Silver-Age.

Views: 8066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll get things started with Supernatural Thrillers #4 (June 1973)

Here's a second piece.

Hoy

Here's part 3.

Hoy

I'm going to be away for a few days, and since no one else has stepped in, I'll finish this off with thanks to Luke for a fun grouping.

Once the theme became obvious, it just took a little digging to find this cover. The theme is Marvel adaptions of print literature and characters. If anyone wants to start one before I get back next week, please go ahead.

Hoy

Thanks, Hoy. It doesn't say so on the covers, but the Conan and Tarzan issues are both adaptations too. Conan the Barbarian #4 is an adaptation of "The Tower of the Elephant", and Tarzan #1 is the first part of an adaptation of Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar.

The GCD credits the Supernatural Thrillers #4 cover to Ron Wilson and Ernie Chan with alterations by John Romita. It says it was Wilson's first cover.

Conan the Barbarian #4's cover was by Barry Windsor-Smith, pencils and inks. I really like the covers from the title's first year.

The Tarzan cover is a homage to that of the issue of The All-Story in which Tarzan first appeared. John Buscema inked his own pencils, both on the cover and inside.

The GCD credits Marvel Classics Comics #23's cover to Ernie Chan, pencils and inks.

Just in case someone has some time over the weekend, here are four cuts with something in common.

Cover no 2 is Marvel's Man from Atlantis #1. It's an attractive cover. The GCD ascribes it to John Buscema and Joe Sinnott. The covers of Nova #1, Ms. Marvel #1 and The Human Fly #1 had similar layouts.

And the theme comes into focus...

Hoy

Here's the cover of the first clip...

...and the fourth. The theme is "Atlantis,"

Here's my favorite Atlantean. 

Hoy

Here's a new set:

"Hello darkness my old friend
I've come to slay for you again..."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service