Ok, here's an idea for a fun contest. I post a section from a comic cover and you guys try and guess what cover it's from.Whoever guesses correctly, gets to post a portion of a cover themselves, and we all get to guess. It's not good form to post a very tiny part of the cover, as it makes the contest too difficult.

Here's my starter - a clue is that this particular cover (like all of mine) is from the Silver-Age.

Views: 5691

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Art by Howard Purcell and Dan Adkins, except for the Black Knight. The GCD says he was drawn by John Romita. The critter over the Knight's left hand reminds me of Dzamor from the "Enchantress" series, which Purcell also drew.

This is one of my favorite comics, my introduction to "sword and sorcery" literature. Also, early Berni Wrightson art!

Hoy

The second cut is The Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves #12

According to Nick Caputo the script, by Steve Skeates, was a repurposed Spectre script.

There's no trick to the theme. What these issues obviously have in common is it.

I see two guys with magic swords who got try-out stories that did not result in series. The Dr. Graves cover doesn't match that.

Dr. Graves has a ghost and so does the Black Knight story, but there is no ghost in Nightmaster. 

The bird cut stumps me, so that's no help. 

I think we're stuck.

Hoy

Hoy,

I agree.  The bird cut is a stumper, although I suspect once it's revealed we're going to go "of course." 

In my searches I suspect I've already seen it, but it didn't register --maybe a career in quality control or spotting errors is not in my future.  The same thing happened with the "Moonstone" cover a few games back.  I must have skimmed over it a few times at the GCD. 

The cut looks DC-esque (and Silver Age-y) to me.  I can't place the artist, although maybe its Ruben Moreira.  I've checked most of the usual DC suspects  (House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Unexpected, Strange Adventures, Mystery in Space, My Greatest Adventure, even Tomahawk, Challengers, Rip Hunter, and Blackhawk - it looks like it would be a perfect fit for Blackhawk).  I've looked through a bunch of series at Charlton, ACG, and even Prize (Black Magic) and Harvey (Alarming Adventures).  Of course, as I noted, I may have been looking right at it and it didn't register -- in too big of a hurry I guess.  Maybe it is Atlas/Marvel or outside the Silver Age.

Any one have any suggestions?  I don't think we should give up quite yet but it is a good one.

"There's no trick to the theme. What these issues obviously have in common is it."

"Magic" or "sorcery"?

Here's some more I might've included but didn't think of/come upon. We've seen a couple of these already:

Luke,

Great set of cuts.  I've got it, but I'm going to hold off for a while to give everyone else a chance. 

The last cut is Charlton's Hercules #6 (September 1968).  Sam Glanzman did the cover.

I had gone off in the direction of "ghosts, mystery, monsters, spirits,"  Luke's clue pointed me in the slightly different direction of "fantasy, monsters, myths, legends."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service