Ok, here's an idea for a fun contest. I post a section from a comic cover and you guys try and guess what cover it's from.Whoever guesses correctly, gets to post a portion of a cover themselves, and we all get to guess. It's not good form to post a very tiny part of the cover, as it makes the contest too difficult.

Here's my starter - a clue is that this particular cover (like all of mine) is from the Silver-Age.

Views: 5691

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good teamwork, and Jeff got the theme.

Hoy

No one else has stepped up, and I think these are fun, so here's another.

Two are Silver Age, two are just a year or two past the Silver Age.

Hoy

Let's get things started with Marvel Spotlight #2 (February 1972 -- one of the covers just outside the Silver Age): Werewolf by Night.

No. 3 is Adventure Comics #313. The tale is really a Supergirl story, and she doesn't even appear on the cover!

Regarding #3 it might be a useful clue that the villain of the story is Satan Girl.

#2 is Hulk #2.

Hmmm... a Werewolf, Satan Girl, and ... Toad Men!?!, maybe there isn't a pattern.

There is a pattern, but it has nothing to do with Satan Girl or Toad Men Look at the character I chose to cut from the Adventure Comics cover.. She and the main characters from the other covers shared something.

Hoy

Characters undergoing a transformation?  Bruce Banner into Hulk.  Jack Russell into a werewolf.  Night Girl into a Crimson Virus victim?  Also, all three do have a link to the night -- back then Bruce transformed into the Hulk at night, werewolves & night, and Night Girl.  Did character #1 transform only at night?  I can't remember (I know #1, but I'm saving it for someone else, and I'm having fun guessing the link).

Any thoughts?

Oh, sure -- Night Girl gets her powers in darkness, the werewolf and the Hulk (originally) changed under the moon. I don't know much about Ghost Rider -- did he once share that characteristic? Regardless the final cover is Marvel Spotlight #5, which I believe is his first appearance.

Good deductions, guys! The theme is characters who initially got their "abilities" at night. That eventually changed for all of them except Night Girl. She would have to change her name to Anytime Girl, and that probably would have been misinterpreted.

Someone else's turn!

Hoy

That was a nice theme. It beat me completely, but it's entirely fair.

Here's a new set. I've tried to make it confounding, but perhaps I'll be foiled in my evil plan.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service