Ok, here's an idea for a fun contest. I post a section from a comic cover and you guys try and guess what cover it's from.Whoever guesses correctly, gets to post a portion of a cover themselves, and we all get to guess. It's not good form to post a very tiny part of the cover, as it makes the contest too difficult.

Here's my starter - a clue is that this particular cover (like all of mine) is from the Silver-Age.

Views: 10141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In addition to its T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents titles Tower published Archie-style teen humour comics starring a girl called Tippy Teen. Atlas/Seaboard reprinted some of the stories in Vicki. No. 4 above is the cover of Tower's Tippy's Friends Go-Go and Animal #2. The GCD tells me the art was by Samm Schwartz.

The clue gives away the theme, which is superheroes with A symbols. (Animal Man, Aquaman, Amazing Man from All-Star Squadron.)

The first cover is a well-remembered cover by John Romita. It was a long time before I noticed that Spider-Man was on the cover, too.

Hoy

With Luke's clue, I've been able to find the other cuts, and the theme is Go Go! And yes, DC had hundreds of covers with go go checks. This was a good round. Thanks. 

Hoy

Great teamwork.  That didn't take long at all.

Just to cap things off, here are some Go-Go Checks AND some Go-Go dancing.

Here's a new set. The covers are from three companies, from the 60s/70s. One of the comics had a different format to the others, characteristic of its publisher. The theme is pop culture topical:

I got the last one, right away. Frank Frazetta painting, used on Eerie 81 from Warren Publishing. Of course I remember this one!

Hoy

I recognize the John Buscema Tarzan one.

I remembered this one because it's one of the first Batman comics my mother bought me. I swear, early Silver Age Batman had as many weird transformations as Silver Age Jimmy Olsen!

Hoy

I can't figure out the second cut. Someone else will figure it out. I'll be out for a few days, but I'll leave this Wonder Woman bonus.

Hoy

While hunting down that second cut (it's a tough one) I did come across another hybrid costume.

Clue: the inker of no 2 was not the penciller. I think the inker's style can be recognised. If you can name him, try to name the penciller. If you can get them both you should know where and even when (to within three years) the cover appeared.

Maybe a larger image...?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service