Ok, here's an idea for a fun contest. I post a section from a comic cover and you guys try and guess what cover it's from.Whoever guesses correctly, gets to post a portion of a cover themselves, and we all get to guess. It's not good form to post a very tiny part of the cover, as it makes the contest too difficult.

Here's my starter - a clue is that this particular cover (like all of mine) is from the Silver-Age.

Views: 9205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here you go:

Oh, I got it now. (I hadn't realized the hand and the buildings were part of the same snip as the jet; I thought the second snip was just the jet and the one with the hand was the third.) The large snip and your other hints led me to it. Theme: atop the Empire State Building.

Here's one I considered last week...

Superman #226 it is! The art team was Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson. Most of their Silver and Bronze Age covers were done for the Super-books (in the broad sense) in the period 1969-1971.

Mort Weisinger had teamed them up on covers, but didn't use them together on stories. Anderson became Swan's regular inker when Murray Boltinoff and Julie Schwartz took Action Comics and Superman over in the second half of 1970, and stayed on the Superman-books until the latter part of 1973. Schwartz reunited them a few times in the 80s, and they did more covers together after Crisis.

Swan had modernised his style and did some of his best art in the early 1970s. Anderson's detailed, realistic inks complemented his art wonderfully.

Here's another 4 with a link to get you thinking. All covers are from the silver-age, except one.

These are all pretty easy, so I'll start off with the first one.

Hoy

I'll take the second...

Here's the third.

Hoy

...and the fourth. I was going to say the theme is "smashed logos," but I guess I'll have to go with "altered logos."

Altered logos is absolutely right Jeff. I'm only sorry it wasn't a bit harder! Still, at least it made you think. If I could have found a fourth logo that was smashed, then I would have gone with that theme, but it was late at night, and the Flash cover was the only 4th cover I could find.

How 'bout this one?

I'll throw up the next set. You may need your thinking cap to finish this puzzle and guess the theme. Three of the four are Silver Age.

Hoy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service