Ok, here's an idea for a fun contest. I post a section from a comic cover and you guys try and guess what cover it's from.Whoever guesses correctly, gets to post a portion of a cover themselves, and we all get to guess. It's not good form to post a very tiny part of the cover, as it makes the contest too difficult.

Here's my starter - a clue is that this particular cover (like all of mine) is from the Silver-Age.

Views: 11369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Hoy.

Clues (1) the artist did more work for Marvel than DC (2) in addition to drawing, he edited and scripted (but not here).

Luke:

Your clue led me to Al Milgrom, which led me to...Firestorm, which he co-created with Gerry Conway.  Good one.

Hoy

Here's my next one, continuing the theme.  The main clue is the head in the shirt, and that it is, of course, Silver Age.

Hoy

Stanley and his Monster #111, August-September 1968

If Dave doesn't mind, perhaps I can just nip in with this cut and see if anyone can spot where it came from. Thanks Dave.

Challengers of the Unknown 47.  The only clues I could find or use were the bottoms of the lettering used in the title logo and that it appeared to be a DC artist rather than a Marvel artist. 

Hoy

Sponge-Man!! Just think if Sponge-Man, Absorbing Man, The Parasite, and Lobo the Bounty Hunter (and maybe even the aliens with vacuumizers from Mystery in Space #63) teamed up as the Absorbancy, The Quicker Picker-Uppers of Evil.  You'd have to call in the FF, X-Men, Avengers, JLA, and Captain Carrot and The Zoo Crew to have a chance of handling that.

I've been trying to figure out how to create a "cut from a cover."  I tried cropping in Word but the uncropped cover kept posting instead.  Let's see if using the eraser function in Paint does any better.  Suggestions?

Hmm, seems to have worked.  (Hint:  from the Silver Age.)

First of all, I thought this was the Superman stood on top of the cake in the 30th anniversary 80 page giant, Superman #207, but after getting my copy out I see it isn't.

This is another great idea for a game, Steve… one I’ll probably suck at.

I keep my longboxes labeled (with post-it notes, mainly, but sometimes trading cards, stickers or other illustrations) for ease of searching, but quite a few don’t have any label at all. When searching unlabeled boxes for specific issues, I will often try to discern the content of a box by peeking through the front finger hole at a small portion of the “lead” comic in the box. This is my filing system… my comics, in my boxes, on my shelves… and I often can’t figure out what’s in which box without lifting the lid!

I do the same thing!

Dave Palmer said:

I've been trying to figure out how to create a "cut from a cover."  I tried cropping in Word but the uncropped cover kept posting instead.  Let's see if using the eraser function in Paint does any better.  Suggestions?

I use the "Select" tool on the "Rectangular selection" setting for rectangular cuts and switch to "Free-form selection" for irregular ones. This setting allows you to trace around the area you want to cut/copy.

Sometimes I save cuts by copying them onto a Word page and saving them as PNGs. Sometimes I open a second Paint window, copy them across, and use the window's "Save" command. When I do the latter I have to switch the "Select" setting back to "Rectangular selection" to paste, and I have to move the borders of the check area up to the image or my computer saves the extra area as white space around the image.

One has to be careful when making a cut from an image one wants to keep. If you make a change in Paint and save the change in that window the programme changes the original image.

Dave Palmer said:

Might that be from the cover of Inferior Five #10 (1968)? Superman was drawn by Neal Adams, the GCD tells me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service