Ok, here's an idea for a fun contest. I post a section from a comic cover and you guys try and guess what cover it's from.Whoever guesses correctly, gets to post a portion of a cover themselves, and we all get to guess. It's not good form to post a very tiny part of the cover, as it makes the contest too difficult.

Here's my starter - a clue is that this particular cover (like all of mine) is from the Silver-Age.

Views: 11453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just prior to this period Detective Comics apparently had sales problems, as there were eight issues cover-dated for 1977 and six for 1978. When the DC Implosion hit DC combined Batman Family with Detective Comics. Detective Comics only carried the Batman Family logo for three issues, but it continued as a giant for awhile.

The cover story of #482 was by Jim Starlin (writing and layouts) and P. Craig Russell. The team also did a Batman story for #481, and Starlin did that issue's cover. Apparently, Starlin's first Batman work was an illustrated poem in Batman Family #17.

My congratulations to Hoy for finding the last cover, and thanks to everyone who played

"Sheesh, this one was hard to find!"

I'll say! What makes it worse is that I even have that issue... for the "Demon" feature, one issue drawn by Michael Golden (IIRC) and the rest by Ditko. Arg!

I bought it for Bat-Mite.

Hoy

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Sheesh, this one was hard to find!"

I'll say! What makes it worse is that I even have that issue... for the "Demon" feature, one issue drawn by Michael Golden (IIRC) and the rest by Ditko. Arg!

Here's a new cut. I liked the background in this one.

This post displaced the thread The One And Only, Genuine, Original Family Band from the home page.

Luke, 

These were always fun.  Thanks for restarting them.  

I can’t explain it, but I had this one in under a minute.  I’ll beg off answering for a while so that others can play.  (Just to indicate that I did get it, the cover of the issue after this one is green and yellow with magenta letters — it looks a lot better than it sounds.)

Nice job blocking out the artist’s signature.

Well done!

It is a beautiful cover and I recognized it immediately, as I am re-reading that series now. But it's eight years past the end of the Silver Age (That's a clue!) so I'm going to abstain.

Thanks for remembering this thread.

Hoy

Luke & Hoy,

It looks like it might be just the three of us.

I don't know it.

1970s. The artist's signature would have given it away, though the GCD credits him with only four of the title's covers, and not with the cover of any issue he drew.

Actually, at first I went looking for covers by Gene Day.  Maybe I was just lucky that I got the correct series, although the martial arts fighting stance of the erased character does help.  

Jeff of Earth-J,

It's already been noted that the cover is about eight years after the end of the Silver Age.  Are those enough clues to help?

No, I either know it or I don't.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service