http://members.ttlc.net/~mso/Super_Team_Family_14_1977_Cover.jpg I picked this up because there was an appearence of the Secret Society of Supervillains and I've been tracking their various appearances down. It was an interesting concept well done for the time it was written. Star Sapphire was intriguing because at first I thought she was Carol Ferris, but she wasn't? In the title Atom is searching for Jean Loring who has acquired the power to generate disasters, he goes to Wonder Woman for help. At the time Wonder Woman was stopping alien robots from destroying the UN building. Some aliens wanted Earth's natural resources and the robots were they're way of asking. Was this ever followed up on? The robots were defeated in a few pages and the aliens ran, but they were never named. Pick up on Star Sapphire who is furious that in the last issue Grodd put her under some sort of mind spell after she and the other's grabbed Jean Loring from Lemuria. Star Saphire was about to destroy Captain Comet but Grod stopped her. She seems to have a grudge against Comet, anyone know why? Her rage doesn't stop her from teaming up with the Floronic Man and Grodd to capture Gorilla City. Atom and Diana see all this from the Crystal of Knowledge on Paradise Island and head toward Gorilla city after failing to get in touch with the Justice League. Star Sapphire intercepts them, blinds Diana and causes the invisible plane to crash. Grodd makes his demands to the world and uses Jean to cause some disasters. Meanwhile Atom is stuck because Star Sapphire used her powers to make his body density five times more than normal. Wonder Woman is still blind and SS used Diana's lasso to find out her weakness, chain her wrists together and she's in a cell. Atom escapes by pulling off his suit, and frees Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman says that for an amazon to be bound like this is humiliating. I know she's been bound a lot of times before and never mentioned this, was this Gerry Conway's way of giving the Atom a boost? Until her sight is restored Atom notes that Diana isn't fighting well and guesses that she felt humiliated at her bondage, that doesn't sound like the Diana of the 1970's to me. Star Sapphire's jewel seems to have an incredible range, I thought it was just a variation of the Green Lantern rings. At the end Ray proposes marriage and Jean accepts, but she still doesn't know that Ray is the Atom? When did he tell her?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1.In the Silver Age the Zamorans selected for their queens for their physical and mental characteristics. The cover story in Green Lantern #41 involved another Star Sapphire who was Carol's mental and physical double.

Somewhere along the line it was established in SSoSV that its Star Sapphire wasn't Carol. Who she really was, and how she became Star Sapphire, wasn't revealed while the series was running. Bob Rozakis was going to reveal her background, but the story didn't appear due to the DC Implosion. He has described the planned story in a couple of places, including a column archived here.

When SSoSV started Green Lantern was appearing in back-up stories in The Flash. Carol wasn't a regular character in those. Her last appearance as Star Sapphire had been in Superman #261. Green Lantern was revived, initially with Green Arrow as its co-star, while SSoSV was running, and she resumed her role as his girlfriend in its early issues (and was then written out for a while, I think).

• 2.Ray revealed he was the Atom to Carol in Justice League of America #157, the night before their wedding. She was initially very upset but had accepted it before the ceremony.

• Incidentally, while looking something up I found a page that described the Zamarons as Amazons. Their name is a semi-anagram. I'd not figured that out.

I might add (1) Star Sapphire was a reused Golden Age name; the original Star Sapphire was a Flash villainess (2) Carol only appeared as Star Sapphire in four stories in the Silver Age (including a two-parter).

• That is interesting. This too.

"Most of that material is probably lost by now, save for copies that the writers may have kept or the filing cabinet at DC which houses paid-for but unused scripts. (Yes, there is such a cabinet. The recent SILVER AGE 80-PAGE GIANT used a Jimmy Olsen story from the early 70s that had been locked away for nearly three decades.)"

It'd be fun if they started turning those stories out.

• A Kevin Nowlan image of the Golden Age Star Sapphire.

• Like the hair, sort of the Princess Leia style.

• 1936411182?profile=originalHere's a detail from the 1963 Flash Annual.

• ....Jean Loring who has acquired the power to generate disasters...

Boy, they really had everything happen to Jean, didn't they?

Atom and Diana see all this from the Crystal of Knowledge on Paradise Island and head toward Gorilla city after failing to get in touch with the Justice League. Star Sapphire intercepts them, blinds Diana and causes the invisible plane to crash.

Did they change the rules? Weren't men banned from Paradise Island?

Meanwhile Atom is stuck because Star Sapphire used her powers to make his body density five times more than normal. Wonder Woman is still blind and SS used Diana's lasso to find out her weakness, chain her wrists together and she's in a cell.

Could just anybody pick up the magic lasso and use it?

Star Sapphire's jewel seems to have an incredible range, I thought it was just a variation of the Green Lantern rings.

I think the concept of the jewel being just a different color lantern ring was a ret-con introduced in the later "emotional spectrum" rainbow rings storyline.

• When she brought the Atom to the island Diana made sure that he was small and riding on her shoulder, so he didn't step foot on the island. I just had to flash back to the JL:U episode :)

I think at that point anyone could use the lasso. I thought that the binding of the bracelets as a way to depower Diana was limited to men, but I think that changed according to the writer.

During the course of this issue SS uses her gem to block the stun rays of the gorillas, make the weapons too hot to hold, turn the ground beneath them into quicksand, emit a blinding light against Wonder Woman and magnetize Atom's feet to the floor. When he grabs Star Sapphire's tiara where the jewel is kept Atom is able to restore Diana's sight. That's a pretty versatile power she had.

• A far more modest costume than the one worn by the SS in the issue I was reading.

Richard Willis said:

1936411182?profile=originalHere's a detail from the 1963 Flash Annual.

This reply was deleted.