In the recent Joker/Daffy Duck comic (Side Note: The latest batch of DC/WB crossovers are neither especially good or especially bad), there's a scene in which the Joker kills the patrons of a comedy club and has his gang take their stuff (Another Side Note: Who in the Blue Hell would go to a comedy club in Gotham City? That's just asking for trouble!), and this scene inspired in me a sudden realization.

Now, I'll say up front that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this realization (or the tenth, or the hundredth, or the thousandth...), it's just something that I never really thought about all that much before.

Anyway, the great realization was this:  

There's no (expletive gerund omitted) way that someone wouldn't have killed the Joker by now.  Victim's grieving relative, vigilante, fed-up cop, "accident in the cells", a villain who's sick of the Joker's crap - someone would have wasted him by now.   I can no longer sustain my suspension of disbelief as regards this character.

Views: 1629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was trying to find a review of Green Lantern Dragon Lord. No luck. 

I suspect, since the character is mystical, that this is in the Alan Scott heritage, not the GL Corps heritage.

I posted something about it to Wandering Sensei’s “Elseworlds” discussion (even though it’s not an “Elseworlds”) earlier this year. Here’s what I had to say:

GREEN LANTERN: DRAGON LORD: This 2001, three-issue, prestige format limited series is written by Doug Moench and drawn by Paul Gulacy… It is set in China in the year AD 660 [and tells the story of Sector 2814’s first Earth-based Green Lantern). The main characters are Jong Li (the Green Lantern), Jade Moon (the emperor’s concubine and mother of his son) and General Shan. Jong Li’s light constructs include a lotus blossom, a gong, a rope and a flying carpet. It is his philosophy that that he prove himself worthy to wield the power by not wielding it. Recommended."

It is actually the GLC heritage rather than mystical; it is Jong Li's philosophical approach that sets him apart from other, more science-oriented GLs.

That's a nice idea.

That has always bothered me. It might make sense that we had a handful of them from Earth if they were from five or six different parts of the globe. It would also help if there were five or six from every planet, but alas.

The Baron said:

Is it me, or are all the Green Lantern Corps members from Earth all from the USA?  Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Charlie Vickers, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz - even Jo Mullein seems to be from the US.

Fraser Sherman said:

And the same for the various forerunner GLs from Earth shown in Green Lantern Quarterly. Good point.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

That has always bothered me. It might make sense that we had a handful of them from Earth if they were from five or six different parts of the globe. It would also help if there were five or six from every planet, but alas.

What always bothered me was seeing alien conquerors who come to Earth gloating that it's a "backwater planet" or an "insignificant mudball." A planet with eight or nine Green Lanterns -- plus the Justice League of America, the Justice Society of America, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, etc., etc., and so forth, including a Watcher on standby -- ought to get more respect.

Like that moment from the X-Men (Volume 1) #105 (June 1977) when the Starship Enterprise a Shi'ar scout ship came across Earth and Mr. Spock the science officer noted, "Our on-planet agent reports multiple instances of Kree, Skrull, Badoon, even Celestial activity! Nothing for us to worry about -- Wait! There's something more! CAPTAIN! This planet has faced Galactus four times in its immediate planetary history -- AND BEATEN HIM BACK!"

Captain Kirk's The Captain's response?

"WHA-A-AT?! Hard about! Course 181, Mark 7 -- maximum sublight acceleration! Full power to the defensive screens! Science Officer, I want a Scale-One sensor scan of that planet! All other stations maintain battle alert!"

That's how aliens should regard Earth.

That scene with Captain K'rk is one of my all time favorites in comics.

ClarkKent_DC said:

The Baron said:

Is it me, or are all the Green Lantern Corps members from Earth all from the USA?  Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Charlie Vickers, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz - even Jo Mullein seems to be from the US.

Fraser Sherman said:

And the same for the various forerunner GLs from Earth shown in Green Lantern Quarterly. Good point.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

What always bothered me was seeing alien conquerors who come to Earth gloating that it's a "backwater planet" or an "insignificant mudball." A planet with eight or nine Green Lanterns -- plus the Justice League of America, the Justice Society of America, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, etc., etc., and so forth, including a Watcher on standby -- ought to get more respect.

Like that moment from the X-Men (Volume 1) #105 (June 1977) when the Starship Enterprise a Shi'ar scout ship came across Earth and Mr. Spock the science officer noted, "Our on-planet agent reports multiple instances of Kree, Skrull, Badoon, even Celestial activity! Nothing for us to worry about -- Wait! There's something more! CAPTAIN! This planet has faced Galactus four times in its immediate planetary history -- AND BEATEN HIM BACK!"

Captain Kirk's The Captain's response?

"WHA-A-AT?! Hard about! Course 181, Mark 7 -- maximum sublight acceleration! Full power to the defensive screens! Science Officer, I want a Scale-One sensor scan of that planet! All other stations maintain battle alert!"

That's how aliens should regard Earth.

If Felix Faust was such a great wizard, why didn't he just turn all the Justice Leaguers into roast turkeys and serve them up at the local homeless shelter?

He wasn't that great. That was the whole point of compacting with Abnegazar, Rath and Ghast — he was a bush leaguer whereas they probably could turn the Leaguers into turkeys.

The Baron said:

If Felix Faust was such a great wizard, why didn't he just turn all the Justice Leaguers into roast turkeys and serve them up at the local homeless shelter?

He couldn't beat the JLA with Superman's weakness to magic!

LUTHOR:  Hey Faust, how'd your spell to turn the JLA into roast turkeys work out?

FAUST:  Not great. All I was able to do was give them all neck wattles.

Fraser Sherman said:

He wasn't that great. That was the whole point of compacting with Abnegazar, Rath and Ghast — he was a bush leaguer whereas they probably could turn the Leaguers into turkeys.

The Baron said:

FELIX FAUST: I who can wield great magical power yet still be beaten by a boxing glove arrow and enjoy dressing like this wish to join your Legion of Doom!

LUTHOR: We'll get in touch after we get Toyman's answer.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service