In the recent Joker/Daffy Duck comic (Side Note: The latest batch of DC/WB crossovers are neither especially good or especially bad), there's a scene in which the Joker kills the patrons of a comedy club and has his gang take their stuff (Another Side Note: Who in the Blue Hell would go to a comedy club in Gotham City? That's just asking for trouble!), and this scene inspired in me a sudden realization.

Now, I'll say up front that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this realization (or the tenth, or the hundredth, or the thousandth...), it's just something that I never really thought about all that much before.

Anyway, the great realization was this:  

There's no (expletive gerund omitted) way that someone wouldn't have killed the Joker by now.  Victim's grieving relative, vigilante, fed-up cop, "accident in the cells", a villain who's sick of the Joker's crap - someone would have wasted him by now.   I can no longer sustain my suspension of disbelief as regards this character.

Views: 518

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's definitely implausible, and a good argument against superhero universes in general. A character like Batman shouldn't have casual access to the kinds of resources that dwarf his own abilities, if we want to take him and his struggles seriously. To enjoy a Batman comic, it's best to forget that he's a member of the JLA, unless the story at hand brings it up. 

If you pay too much attention to the "grand tapestry" of the DCU or the Marvel Universe, it interferes with enjoyment of individual stories, especially those of a smaller scale.

Captain Comics said:

I've long believed that Barbara's best destiny was as Oracle. But it is equally true that it was implausible that a member of the Bat-family suffered in a world with all those potential fixes.

I can hold both opinions. Do I contradict myself? So I do. I am vast, I contain multitudes.

I always thought that Oracle was a wonderful way to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and that Barbara would and should have remained Oracle even if she regained her mobility.

I completely agree. Or at least it would be great to see her using her Oracle skills in the field as Batgirl, at the very least.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I always thought that Oracle was a wonderful way to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and that Barbara would and should have remained Oracle even if she regained her mobility.

Couldn't we say the same thing about our world? We have scientific and medical advancements beyond what seems possible.

And yet, we have people living in filth in certain countries of the world.

Sorry, not trying to get political. I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

Captain Comics said:

I've long believed that Barbara's best destiny was as Oracle. But it is equally true that it was implausible that a member of the Bat-family suffered in a world with all those potential fixes.

By the way, no matter how you slice it, the Joker still doesn't deserve the special protection and treatment that Batman gives him.

I saw what you did there ...

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

By the way, no matter how you slice it, the Joker still doesn't deserve the special protection and treatment that Batman gives him.

Also, there's no way that Johnny Storm burned off Namor's beard without doing serious damage to his face.

It's a good argument in general. But those people living in filth aren't personal friends with half the Justice League. She isn't just a random Bangladeshi; she's among the global elite. And the elite take care of their own. Even if she was too proud to ask Superman or Wonder Woman for help, Batman would do it for her.

Couldn't we say the same thing about our world? We have scientific and medical advancements beyond what seems possible.

And yet, we have people living in filth in certain countries of the world.

Sorry, not trying to get political. I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

Captain Comics said:

Agreed. I could barely stretch my suspension of disbelief when Batman saves Joker from falling off a building or whatever, because he will save anybody he can. But it really has become special protection above and beyond (See Tom King's Batman #49). And I can't buy that.

Steve Ditko's Mr. A let a criminal fall off a building and later let some others drown. The second one way have been The Question, or both characters. He didn't kill them, he just didn't save them when he presumably could. The Azrael Batman let a serial killer fall into, IIRC, a fiery cauldron of something or other. Same thing. Both were considered very edgy, even though they didn't actually (hands-on) kill the criminals. I think it can be justifiably stated that saving the Joker equals being guilty of all his future murders, just so Bruce Wayne can feel blameless. 

Captain Comics said:

Agreed. I could barely stretch my suspension of disbelief when Batman saves Joker from falling off a building or whatever, because he will save anybody he can. But it really has become special protection above and beyond (See Tom King's Batman #49). And I can't buy that.

Daredevil let Bullseye fall, too.

Then, later, played Russian roulette with him using an unloaded gun.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service