In the recent Joker/Daffy Duck comic (Side Note: The latest batch of DC/WB crossovers are neither especially good or especially bad), there's a scene in which the Joker kills the patrons of a comedy club and has his gang take their stuff (Another Side Note: Who in the Blue Hell would go to a comedy club in Gotham City? That's just asking for trouble!), and this scene inspired in me a sudden realization.

Now, I'll say up front that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this realization (or the tenth, or the hundredth, or the thousandth...), it's just something that I never really thought about all that much before.

Anyway, the great realization was this:  

There's no (expletive gerund omitted) way that someone wouldn't have killed the Joker by now.  Victim's grieving relative, vigilante, fed-up cop, "accident in the cells", a villain who's sick of the Joker's crap - someone would have wasted him by now.   I can no longer sustain my suspension of disbelief as regards this character.

Views: 2463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I always pronounced it as two syllables "Jame-son".

Always "Jame-uh-son" to me.
It's like lyrics to the Munsters theme: "J. Jonah Jameson is a [choose your favorite one-syllable derogatory word], duh-duh DUH duh-duh duh-duh-duh Duuuhhh..."

While we’re at it, the lyrics to the Hulk’s theme song are:

Doctor Banner
Belted by gamma rays
Turns into the Hulk
(Ain’t he un-glamo-rays?)

It’s Doc-tor Banner (not Doc Bruce Banner), and he wasn’t “pelted” he was belted.

I think I was a straight "James Son" pronunciation guy.

Commander Benson said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The 1980s Spider-Man cartoon (Spider-Man & Friends?) added an extra syllable to J. Jonah Jameson's last name (like the whiskey). I go with the 1968 filmation pronunciation.

As do I.  the "Jam-uh-son" pronunciation just doesn't sound right to me.

I have no idea what continuity is these days, but I think that Perry White figured out that Clark Kent is Superman and Jim Gordon figured out that Bruce Wayne is Batman pretty early on, but kept quiet about it. I just can't accept guys like them who spend as much time as they do in these people's presence NOT figuring it out. I mean, if there's one thing a detective and a journalist have in common it's the need to find out things that people don't want them to know.

I agree, and would say that goes double for Lois Lane.

Not only would professional detectives and reporters figure out Batman and Superman pretty quick, but it should be acknowledged so that they don't look like idiots. Similarly, Batman and Superman should TELL them, because otherwise they are lying to the people closest to them for decades. That's not very heroic.

I think I was  a James-son guy in the beginning. Probably realized my error with the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon.

In Detective Comics #369 (N'67), "Batgirl Breaks Up the Dynamic Duo!" when Batman comes down with "swamp fever" and instead of telling him about it, they make him feel inadequate! However, he does succumb to this illness (at the worst time) but is saved.

Later, Bruce is in the hospital and Commissioner Gordon sends him a particular fruit that helps in the recovery from "swamp fever" leading them to suspect that the Commish figured it out already!

I figure there's a tacit mutual agreement not to acknowledge the obvious to avoid the professional ethical tangles that would arise if Perry and Jim acknowledged that they knew.

Captain Comics said:

Not only would professional detectives and reporters figure out Batman and Superman pretty quick, but it should be acknowledged so that they don't look like idiots. Similarly, Batman and Superman should TELL them, because otherwise they are lying to the people closest to them for decades. That's not very heroic.

I think I was  a James-son guy in the beginning. Probably realized my error with the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon.

It just occurred to me that when Captain America was  originally thawed out back in 1964, he would have only been "on ice" for about 19 years.  That's a long time, but the odds are, most of the people he knew in '45 would still be alive 19 years later.  Oh, a few would have died, but most of them would still be around. Most of the people I knew 19 years are still around, except for a few older relatives, and one person  who had a mishap.  It'd be a hell of an adjustment, but you could at least see some familiar faces.

On the other hand, the Cap of today, assuming he was thawed out the proverbial "ten years ago", then he would have been thawed out in 2009, and been "on ice" for 64 years.  That's an insanely larger adjustment - pretty much everyone he'd known would be dead, even little kids would be elderly now.  That could put a guy on the edge.

The Baron said:

It just occurred to me that when Captain America was  originally thawed out back in 1964, he would have only been "on ice" for about 19 years.  That's a long time, but the odds are, most of the people he knew in '45 would still be alive 19 years later.  Oh, a few would have died, but most of them would still be around. Most of the people I knew 19 years are still around, except for a few older relatives, and one person  who had a mishap.  It'd be a hell of an adjustment, but you could at least see some familiar faces.

On the other hand, the Cap of today, assuming he was thawed out the proverbial "ten years ago", then he would have been thawed out in 2009, and been "on ice" for 64 years.  That's an insanely larger adjustment - pretty much everyone he'd known would be dead, even little kids would be elderly now.  That could put a guy on the edge.

That's why I started thinking that Sgt. Fury of the Howling Commandos and Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. are two different people, even before Nick Fury started to resemble Samuel L. Jackson. 

That's one of the issues I hope to see History of the Marvel Universe resolve: Just how long was Captain America "on ice"?

Another: Just how long did Sub-Mariner spend wandering amnesiac? (He's got to be pushing 100 now.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service