In the recent Joker/Daffy Duck comic (Side Note: The latest batch of DC/WB crossovers are neither especially good or especially bad), there's a scene in which the Joker kills the patrons of a comedy club and has his gang take their stuff (Another Side Note: Who in the Blue Hell would go to a comedy club in Gotham City? That's just asking for trouble!), and this scene inspired in me a sudden realization.

Now, I'll say up front that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this realization (or the tenth, or the hundredth, or the thousandth...), it's just something that I never really thought about all that much before.

Anyway, the great realization was this:  

There's no (expletive gerund omitted) way that someone wouldn't have killed the Joker by now.  Victim's grieving relative, vigilante, fed-up cop, "accident in the cells", a villain who's sick of the Joker's crap - someone would have wasted him by now.   I can no longer sustain my suspension of disbelief as regards this character.

Views: 745

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I always pronounced it as two syllables "Jame-son".

Always "Jame-uh-son" to me.
It's like lyrics to the Munsters theme: "J. Jonah Jameson is a [choose your favorite one-syllable derogatory word], duh-duh DUH duh-duh duh-duh-duh Duuuhhh..."

While we’re at it, the lyrics to the Hulk’s theme song are:

Doctor Banner
Belted by gamma rays
Turns into the Hulk
(Ain’t he un-glamo-rays?)

It’s Doc-tor Banner (not Doc Bruce Banner), and he wasn’t “pelted” he was belted.

I think I was a straight "James Son" pronunciation guy.

Commander Benson said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The 1980s Spider-Man cartoon (Spider-Man & Friends?) added an extra syllable to J. Jonah Jameson's last name (like the whiskey). I go with the 1968 filmation pronunciation.

As do I.  the "Jam-uh-son" pronunciation just doesn't sound right to me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service