I'm thinking of reading a few Adam Strange comics from over the years, but I'd like to know what was the best representative story in which he appeared in the 70s?

I know he didn't star in his own stories in the 70s, but perhaps a JLA/JSA crossover, or a Brave and The Bold?

Most importantly, it'd have to be a story that I could reasonably get my hands on, so one that is available in reprint would be good.

Has Adam Strange's first appearance in Mystery in Space #53 - 'Menace of the Robot Raiders!'  been reprinted anywhere?  What about Mystery in Space #82 "World War on Earth and Rann!" as well?

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A little past the 1970s, but his two-parter in Saga of the Swamp Thing remains my favorite appearance of Adam's.

Man, what I wouldn't give to see a Francesco Francavilla written and drawn one-shot of Adam Strange.

Other than that, I'm pretty darn partial to the Andy Diggle/Pascal Ferry miniseries.

Those issues also turned Adam's backstory around into something different much like "The Anatomy Lesson" did for Swamp Thing.  The menaces, Rann's treatment of him, and even the true purpose of the Zeta-beam were altered and shown in a new, unsettlingling light.

On yet another tangent, it still rankles me that Swampy is still seperated from the main DCU!

Mr. Satanism said:

A little past the 1970s, but his two-parter in Saga of the Swamp Thing remains my favorite appearance of Adam's.

Mr. Satanism said:

That's why I didn't ask for 80s examples!  How could I skip a Moore tale?  Moore's was my first Adam Strange story.  It worked well for me even without knowing the continuity.  Were Rann and Thanagar established as being at loggerheads before this Swamp Thing story?

My library has Diggle's Planet Heist so I'll read that soon.

The Wednesday Comics tale was pretty good, for what it was...

ITEM:  Adam Strange's first appearance wasn't in MiS #53; it was in Showcase.

The two Showcase tryout runs were okay - you have to like Mike Sekowsky's art, and I do.  But really, if you hit any Adam Strange Showcases, you're in good shape.  If you can afford the Archives, better yet - because this is one of the few comics that I think look far superior with color.  (Some stories can get away without color - some are improved without it  - but Adam Strange isn't one of those.)

ELS

The Hawkman Showcases had Rann and Thanagar heading for war. It was even mentioned in Justice League #200. 

Figserello said:

Mr. Satanism said:

That's why I didn't ask for 80s examples!  How could I skip a Moore tale?  Moore's was my first Adam Strange story.  It worked well for me even without knowing the continuity.  Were Rann and Thanagar established as being at loggerheads before this Swamp Thing story?

My library has Diggle's Planet Heist so I'll read that soon.

The Wednesday Comics tale was pretty good, for what it was...

Figserello said:

I don't believe so, but the representation of Thanagar as an aggressor planet had been introduced in Tony Isabella's The Shadow War of Hawkman series and the Hawkman series that followed.

In Justice League of America #109 Hawkman's fact-finding mission to Earth ended and he returned to Thanagar. In #117 he returned to Earth for reasons connected to Thanagar's infection with a plague called the Equalising plague that left everyone with the same physical and mental abilities. In #119 he bought Hawkgirl back to Earth, and she was cured too. (She joined the League in #146.) The Hawkman try-out in Showcase ##101-103 (in which Adam appeared) established that the Thanagarians had been cured by Hyathis (an alien queen who first appeared as one of four alien tyrants in Justice League of America #3) who had thereby become their ruler and was popular, although she apparently ruled as a dictator. Hawkman was exiled because he refused to acknowledge her as his queen.

Subsequently a Hawkman series ran in World's Finest, during which Hawkgirl started calling herself Hawkwoman. In World's Finest Comics #278, in the Superman/Batman feature, Hawkman recruited Superman and Batman to help him overthrow her rule in response to request for help from Thanagar that had been received on Earth in the previous issue's Hawkman instalment.

In the Shadow War of Hawkman mini and the early issues of the next Hawkman series Hawkman had to thwart Thangarian designs on Earth. It's implied at the end of the Swamp Thing story that the Thanagarians want the secret of the Zeta Beam for reasons connected to their designs on Earth.

(corrected)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service