Adam Strange

Say, was it ever established why Adam Strange didn't just physically go to Rann instead of only going there by Zeta Beam? I mean, sure, maybe the Ranninites didn't have starships, but surely Green Lantern or somebody would have done him a favor and dropped him off there when they were heading out that way.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For the first two-and-a-half years (real time) that Adam Strange was zeta-beaming to Rann, his status as an interplanetary adventurer was unknown on Earth. Besides that, he had no way of contacting Superman, Green Lantern, or Wonder Woman---the three JLAers (at the time) capable of travelling through space.

Strange met the Justice League for the first time in "The Planet That Came to a Standstill", from Mystery in Space # 75 (May, 1962). During the course of that adventure, Adam actually did manage to travel to Rann without relying upon a zeta-beam teleportation. (He used Kanjar Ro's slave ship of space.) Nor did the import of this escape him; Strange realised that it meant he could stay on Rann indefinitely.

Or, rather, he could have. Except for the fact that, during the climactic battle with Kanjar Ro, Adam was struck by a blast from Ro's energi-rod. This had the effect of altering Strange's physical composition with the result that, should he remain within the influence of Rann's triple suns for a year, he would die. If he remained on Rann now, there would be no guarantee that he would be able to get back to Earth within a year's time. Thus, the JLA transported Adam back to Earth and he went back to using the zeta beam.

But that was not the end of it.

As early as "The Super-Brain of Adam Strange", from MiS # 87 (Nov., 1963), Alanna's scientist father, Sardath, attempted to neutralise the effects of Kanjar Ro's energi-rod on Strange, but he did not succeed until "World That Vanished", from Hawkman # 18 (Feb.-Mar., 1967). Then, Adam could remain on Rann as long as he wanted, but there was a kicker: a side-effect of the treatment meant that, now, Strange could not set foot on Earth without dying. Adam could live with that, and he made plans to marry Alanna and settle on Rann.

Eventually, the fatal effect of Sardath's treatment wore off, as Adam discovered in "The Zeta-Bomb Manuever", from Green Lantern # 135 (Dec., 1980). Unfortunately, the developments of that story put Strange back on Earth, where he was forced to rely on the zeta-beams again to travel to Rann. Now, after that, why Adam didn't hit up Green Lantern or one of the other space-faring League members to take him to Earth, I don't know. It may have been addressed, but if so, I don't remember it.

Hope this helps.
  • Commander Benson said:
    For the first two-and-a-half years (real time) that Adam Strange was zeta-beaming to Rann, his status as an interplanetary adventurer was unknown on Earth. Besides that, he had no way of contacting Superman, Green Lantern, or Wonder Woman---the three JLAers (at the time) capable of travelling through space.

Strange met the Justice League for the first time in "The Planet That Came to a Standstill", from Mystery in Space # 75 (May, 1962). During the course of that adventure, Adam actually did manage to travel to Rann without relying upon a zeta-beam teleportation. (He used Kanjar Ro's slave ship of space.) Nor did the import of this escape him; Strange realised that it meant he could stay on Rann indefinitely.

Or, rather, he could have. Except for the fact that, during the climactic battle with Kanjar Ro, Adam was struck by a blast from Ro's energi-rod. This had the effect of altering Strange's physical composition with the result that, should he remain within the influence of Rann's triple suns for a year, he would die. If he remained on Rann now, there would be no guarantee that he would be able to get back to Earth within a year's time. Thus, the JLA transported Adam back to Earth and he went back to using the zeta beam.

But that was not the end of it.

As early as "The Super-Brain of Adam Strange", from MiS # 87 (Nov., 1963), Alanna's scientist father, Sardath, attempts to neutralise the effects of Kanjar Ro's energi-rod on Strange, but he does not succeed until "World That Vanished", from Hawkman # 18 (Feb.-Mar., 1967). Now, Adam can remain on Rann as long as he wants, but there is a kicker: a side-effect of the treatment means that, now, Strange can not set foot on Earth without dying.
    Adam can live with that, and he makes plans to marry Alanna and settle on Rann.

Eventually, the fatal effect of Sardath's treatment wears off, as Adam discovers in "The Zeta-Bomb Manuever", from Green Lantern # 135 (Dec., 1980). Unfortunately, the developments of that story put Strange back on Earth, where he is forced to rely on the zeta-beams again to travel to Rann. Now, after that, why Adam didn't hit up Green Lantern or one of the other space-faring League members to take him to Earth, I don't know. It may have been addressed, but if so, I don't remember it.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does. Thank you, sir.
  • That's what happens when you cross over characters that weren't meant to exist in a world of superheroes. Didn't Martian Manhunter have the same problem, but never asked Superman or Green Lantern to help him get home?

• As I recall, J'onn did eventually find a way to get back to Mars, but chose to stay on Earth.

Ron M. said:

That's what happens when you cross over characters that weren't meant to exist in a world of superheroes. Didn't Martian Manhunter have the same problem, but never asked Superman or Green Lantern to help him get home?

• True but I think it took a lot longer than it should have. They sure liked to take their time in the Silver Age. Barry Allen took forever to tell Iris he was the Flash, and Odin seemed to forget to tell Thor that Don Blake wasn't a real person.

This reply was deleted.