Hey, I just wanted to give a heads-up that I've got a new short story published in Wednesday's Happy Hour 5 (comic story by Peter Milligan and Michael Montenat). Mine's called "On the Beach/In the Bedroom," and it's about a moment during the start of the Trojan War. If you get it, I hope you like it! Here's what the cover looks like. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Congratulations, Rob! I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it.

•   Ditto!

• Thank you!

• Very nice! Congrats, Rob!

• Rob's first AHOY! short story appeared in The Wrong Earth #3, about a man who found a very unusual painting of a quite familiar subject in an art gallery, and what happened after. I'm reluctant to reveal anything more about the second story than he himself did, but I will say it's very moody. 

Rob, I know it's kind of cliche to ask writers, "Where do you get your ideas?" but how did you come up with this particular premise? 

• Thanks, Jeff! I actually have an answer to this one.

I was reading Robert Graves's short history of the Trojan War, The Siege and Fall of Troy, and the bare bones of this incident are mentioned. Just a couple of sentences about it: "This happened, and meanwhile this happened." And I thought there was some drama there that maybe hadn't been explored in print before. Basically he mentions the visit that happens in the story, but no real details of it. And I thought: I want to hear that conversation! So I wrote it. 

The previous one just came to me while I was in an art gallery on a First Friday. I was looking at a still life, thinking: Whose kitchen countertop is this? It's probably the artist's, but what if it's not? What if the artist breaks into people's houses and paints their stuff without their knowledge? The story wound up going in a very different direction, but it all started from the opening scene of that original premise: a guy wondering why his kitchen was hanging in an art gallery. (I think I might have turned away from the breaking & entering idea because when I finally  wrote it, I was writing for AHOY's specifications, and I didn't think I'd be able to cover all I wanted to in 1,000 words or so; what I came up with had a single point of view, so it was naturally more compact.)

• UPDATE! 

Ahoy has put it on its website, so you can now read the story online. I hope you like it!

• I just read it. I definitely liked it and am very impressed.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

UPDATE! 

Ahoy has put it on its website, so you can now read the story online. I hope you like it!

• Thanks a lot, Richard!

• Just got word that my next story, "Sweet Revenge," will appear in Happy Hour 6! And this morning I found out I sold two more things-- another story and a poem. 

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

This reply was deleted.