Airplanes

Flew in an airplane for the first time last Tuesday morning, and the second time last night. (There are flights between Earth-44 and Earth-J now!). The take-offs and landings were exhilarating (the landings, especially), but the actual flying part was sort of like riding an intercity bus. I'm a big boy (6'5", 260 lbs.), and they don't design the seats for us overgrown types. All in all, it was an interesting experience. 

Anyway, it was worth a minor discomfort to get to spend time with my pals, and to see some interesting sights and eat (rather too much) good food.  

Still, when I get my own plane, I'm going to make sure every seat has plenty of legroom.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• At 5'6" and 150 lbs, the seats aren't that comfortable for me either!

• "First" time? 

• I find that believable. I've only been on three flights--well, six--myself.

ClarkKent_DC said:

"First" time? 

• I'm with you, Baron. Flying is boring and uncomfortable, except for takeoffs and landings, which are mildly exhilarating. I've never been scared on a flight, and don't understand why you would be -- there's absolutely nothing you can do, so why worry? It's gonna happen or it's not. Either way, you're wasting time. You might as well focus on something productive.

• I've lost count. My first flight was on a turbo-prop (a jet assisted prop plane) when I was drafted and they took us from Los Angeles to Fort Knox, Kentucky (1968). I didn't time it, but it took forever. After that I was flying commercial between forts and home, usually on "military stand-by." It was a discounted rate, less than coach, if they had vacant seats. One time two of us were upgraded to first class, probably courtesy of the pilot, who was likely former military. Haven't flown first class before or since. Flying from Seattle to Vietnam and back were the longest flights, with one refueling stop each way. On the way to Vietnam we refueled at Tokyo airport, which was the only time I've seen a plane refuel without the passengers disembarking. While in Vietnam I flew on C-130 prop cargo planes nine times, one time sitting plastered to the floor by G-force when the pilot was making a steep take-off. I flew to England and back on three occasions to see relatives and to the East Coast a few times. I have NEVER been able to sleep on any plane. As you found out, the part no one tells you about is that when a jet lands the braking makes a very loud noise. My most recent flight was on Virgin America Airlines (since purchased by Alaska Airlines) on an Airbus jet. It had more legroom.

• ClarkKent_DC said:

"First" time? 

Yep. Never flew before last week.

• Captain Comics said:

I'm with you, Baron. Flying is boring and uncomfortable, except for takeoffs and landings, which are mildly exhilarating. I've never been scared on a flight, and don't understand why you would be -- there's absolutely nothing you can do, so why worry? It's gonna happen or it's not. Either way, you're wasting time. You might as well focus on something productive.

I know people that can't fly without drinking themselves into a stupor.  Having flown twice now, I have to say that the landings are the scariest part, but at least they're over quickly.

• I've become a pretty frequent flyer recently, due to my jazz critic junkets. Before that I flew rarely: sometimes only once every few years. I agree it's not an especially comfortable way to travel, but it's relatively fast--assuming everything goes well--and I've found ways to make it more comfortable. Still haven't learned to sleep on an airplane, though. I envy people who can do that.

• It's not like I fly all the time -- many of my "frequent" flyer accounts have expired from lack of use -- but I'm surprised someone reaches adulthood without having had occasion to fly.

Richard Willis said:

As you found out, the part no one tells you about is that when a jet lands the braking makes a very loud noise.

Once -- only once -- did I experience a flight with such a smooth landing that none of us felt the bump when the wheels touched the ground. 

I'm able to sleep on an airplane just fine ... that is, after the first third of the flight with all the warnings and the order to keep your seatbelt on is done, and before the last third with all the warnings to put it back of if you've taken it off because we're coming in for a landing.

•  I haven't flown since 1989 and I haven't missed it.

This reply was deleted.